Grasshopper update

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by DodgeDually, Dec 29, 2007.

1. DodgeDually

DodgeDually LawnSite Member

On 8-11-07 I bought a new 07 grasshopper 723k mower w/ the 50" deck, and the 15 bushell bagger system. I have a little over 100hrs on it now, and thought I would do a little write up of how it is doing. So far I have not had any mechanical problems out of it. The bagger system w/ blower works really well. It will pick up just about anything that goes under the deck. The mower has a small fuel tank on it, but compared to my previouse mower it does far better on fuel. The only thing I am having difficulty w/ is tracktion on hills. The wieght of the bagger system puts the center of gravity over the back wheels, and not the drive wheels. I removed the rear counter weights, and it got better. I think w/ some wheel weights I can get my tracktion back on the hills. So far I would give this mower a high rating, and recommend it if some one was looking for a mower.

2. TGK

TGK LawnSite Member

Thank you very much for your post! It is winter and I am looking into buying a Grasshopper outfront mower. I like the idea of the attachments such as the dethather and aerator. Being able to dethatch a large area and suck up the stuff is beautiful & a money maker. Also I love that HUGE blower you can get for the front of it! I would be done with everything before Nov 15 with that thing! lol
    I appreciate it, feel free to PM me with anything else
    My Regards,
    Chris

3. jpiwowar

jpiwowar LawnSite Member

When installing a model 15 on an air-cooled front mount, the dealer is supposed to remove the two 34lb. counterweights from the rear. The other thing is take a look up under the front fender between the tire and the frame of the machine. There is a spring there... That's the mechanical weight transfer for traction. The tighter the spring the more weight that is transfered to the drive tires. You'll need to make sure that the bolt towards the rear is drawn in all the way. Tighten it so that there are no threads showing and tight. This is often overlooked on setup. Also you can run a pound less air in the drive wheels. If you are still needing traction, I suggest putting RV antifreeze in the drive tires. Only about 4 gallons each.