1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Grasshopper value

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Green Acres, Mar 7, 2002.

1. Green Acres

Green Acres LawnSite Senior Member

I was looking at buying a 93 721 Grasshopper with a 61" deck. It has about 2000 hrs on it and has the normal wear and tear. It has a newer paint job and new tires and blades and one spindle has been replaced recently. There are a few other new parts, I was wondering what you guys thought a machine like that would be worth? I don't want to get ripped off since I have never really priced one like this before. Thanks
  2. If you nothing about lawn mowers, I suggest you stay away from used.
  3. LJ lawn

LJ lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

if that is the diesel model or the liquid cooled gas 2000 hrs isn't too bad as long as it has been taken care of,but you also have the hydros to worry about.2000 hrs is about it (most times) for the service life of a air-cooled gas engine.depends on what they want for it.
  4. Green Acres

Green Acres LawnSite Senior Member

LJ LAWN-- It's the air-cooled model and they want around $3000. Thanks for the info. so far.
  5. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

If it still has the original engine and hydro. drives, then they are about used up most likely. I would not buy it as hydros alone could cost 1600.00 to replace both sides.:(
  6. Stay away from it. Alot of hours and money for that machine.

WREBELMACHINE LawnSite Bronze Member

I would probably stay away from it. Although I only have seen one grasshopper being used down here but even in another brand it still is to high.
  8. nathanlee79

nathanlee79 LawnSite Member

Green acres. To much money and too many hours. Have you tried or seen the new 225 mid-mount mowers. We have two of them and they have the newly designed decks. Much better cutting quality than the older out-front models. Also they are quicker and more manuerverable. Most comanies are switching to them. Grasshopper is popular here. We bought a 99, 61", air-cooled mid-mount for $5200 with only 180 hours on it. So keep looking around. The new out-front models are coming out with a new deck, much deeper and stronger. If you have enough yards consider getting a newer mower. It will last you longer and be more dependable.

9. swn

swn LawnSite Member

Green acres - I would stay away from that mower. You can find a lot of used ones with a lot less hours than that.

I also have a 225 and really like it. The deeper deck is a lot better and the controls are smoothe. I also have a 2001 725K. I am going to sell it and get a new one because of the new decks and the G2 transmissions.
  10. TOSLC

TOSLC LawnSite Member

I agree, too much $$$. Try seaching for some used equipment auctions. I know there is one here in Indiana about every month. They sell everyting from corn planters, lawn mowers, big tractors, little tractors, bob-cats, to chain saws. If you know what your looking for, and depending on what everyone else is looking for, you can get some really good deals. Keep looking, be patient, and Good Luck in your search!