1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Grasshopper vs Dixie Chopper

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by eagle670, Oct 12, 2004.

1. eagle670

eagle670 LawnSite Member
    from midwest

I am getting ready to purchase a zero turn and have demoed several. I am down to Grasshopper and Dixie Chopper. The GH seems like a well built machine, but it did leave a few sprigs of grass here and there and I was also very disappointed with it's non striping ability. The DC had a great cut and seemed to handle everything I could throw at it, even at high speeds. It also seemed to have a descent stripe. The only problem is that it seems to be a little cheaper built.
    I will only be using this machine as a home owner and not commercially. I thought that I would come to the pro's for some advice.
    Thanks!

2. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Well you couldn't go wrong getting the dixie chopper and then again you couldn't go wrong with the grasshopper. I have never used either one but from what dealers and operators have told me is that both are great machines. We don't have a DC dealer around close but have a grasshopper dealer and are going to consider getting one. We are also going to consider JD and Ferris because of good dealer support.

3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

These stripes were just made with a grass hopper 725 K. Its all in the way the dealer sets up the deck, cost me $12 more to double the rubber strip in the back of the deck to leave those stripes.

Mac

4. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I don't think either mower will really truly make you more money. I have beat the crap out of my dixie(including flipping it), and it holds up pretty well. My only complaint is the discharge side of the deck will bend if you run into a brick wall or something. But it bends out w/ a floor jack and some heat.

5. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have an '05 722d2 and love it. it stripes just like the above pic. my dealer also modified it a bit, no big deal. Some of the guys i have talked to while at my dealer have over 8000 hrs on theirs with no problems...give it a try!

6. SellPoint

SellPoint LawnSite Member

I just got a new dixie this season and man does that thing mow! IMHO the dixie's are simply and solidly built but I wouldn't say cheaply.

Now, that being said I bought it to replace a 1984 model 1210 grasshopper that I used for 2 seasons. It was old and only had a 12 hp engine but it got the job done (mostly) for what I do.

For a homeowner, you wouldn't go wrong with either brand. Compare the Dealer service quality and price.

7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

What were the specific units of each brand that you tried out?

8. eagle670

eagle670 LawnSite Member
    from midwest

What type of modifications did the dealer do to the mower deck? I am really considering the GH, but if it won't stripe I am going to go with Dixie.

Thanks!

9. eagle670

eagle670 LawnSite Member
    from midwest

Whatelse did the dealer do to the deck, besides adding the extra rubber strip?

10. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Nothing More than a double rubber strip lowered closer to the ground, and a set of gator blades. What kind of grass are you trying to stripe? If a grass Hopper wont stripe it chances are a dixie won't either, some grasses gust wont stripe, What was the lenght of the grass? there are alot of questions and answers to what you are asking.

Mac