grasshopper vs. exmark

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bushbuster, Jun 6, 2005.

1. Bushbuster

Bushbuster LawnSite Member

does anyone have both grasshopper and exmark ? if so which do you like better and why ? i am considering these two and would appreciate opinions from anyone who has experience with both.

2. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I demoed them both and ended up with a Grasshopper. I love it. Cost more but well worth it. Last week I went and demoed another Exmark to make sure I wasn't missing anything...and i wasn't.

3. Bushbuster

Bushbuster LawnSite Member

so far everyone i've talked to says grasshopper too.

4. digger1

digger1 LawnSite Member

have 3 hoppers and am biased on them. my dealer support is second to none and only demo'd a few years ago. very satisfied with them. dealer support is very important and parts that he stocks if you are looking at both brands. good luck!

5. CBB

CBB LawnSite Member
    from MS/LA

I would definitely demo Exmark from the dealer there in Van Buren. Those guys are excited about taking care of the customer and have been converting a few people from Grasshopper. Grasshopper has been in your area a long time and Exmark is somewhat still new in the game. I also know the Exmark sales rep for the area and he would be more than happy to help you in trying a machine on your own terms. If you would like more information about these guys let me know, and I can have them contact you personally. But definitely demo the products, no matter what color paint you are looking at.

6. Blades of Steel

Blades of Steel LawnSite Senior Member

I'll second that Digger1. I love mine, and then there are those who love their Exmarks.

Good luck on your decision.

Tim

7. RayoVac

RayoVac LawnSite Member

I don't mow lawns for a living... but I had a GH 618 Front mount with the 52" Deck. It cut GREAT!!! Striped O.K. (no stripe kit). I thought the controls were sloppy and the Kohler 18 was very problematic for me. It was long and although the front deck let me get into a lot of tight spots... I still had to maneuver the mower making some areas a bit akward around my deck and certain areas of my yard.

I switched to a Exmark Lazer HP with a 48" deck and 19 Kawi, I got the striping roller and Ultra-Vac two bagger. So far I love the Mid-Mount Exmark. Yes... it is harder to trim some area that were previously easier with the GH. But overall the Lazer HP is much shorter and easier to get where I want it. Not to mention I feel as if it is not quite a rough on the turf. The cut is absolutely terrific and the option for the striping roller lays perfect stripes. The controls are quick and very responsive. It holds more then double the fuel of my 618 and has about 2mph faster in speed.

This is such a loaded question because there are so many loyal folks on these boards. You will get just as many remarks telling you to try a Ferris and Dixie and Toro and Hustler as well. Demo, Demo, Demo then go with a good dealer.

Good Luck!

8. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

You had the old transmissions. The G2's are very quick and quiet. I have never had any problems with length. I can run all day on 4.5 gallons of diesel.

9. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

I have both and use both everyday. I can honestly say I prefer the Exmark Lazer Z to the Frontmount 725 Grasshopper. Here is why... Manueverability, the Exmark is a midmount gets into tight places, the Grasshopper frontmount doesn't. Reason #2 The Grasshopper deck is not as deep and does not mulch as good as the Exmark. Reason #3 I have more room on my trailer with Exmarks than Grasshopper frontmounts. Don't get me wrong Grasshoppers are a great mower. It comes down to customer support, I can't say good things about either because both dealers are to far away from me.

If you like Grasshoppers check out their midmounts I'd like to hear how they compare to Exmarks Lazer Z. For bagging huge areas the Grasshopper 725 frontmount is the way to go with the huge hopper.

10. RayoVac

RayoVac LawnSite Member

Actually.. they don't put G2s in the 600 series.

Yup... diesel would be cool... but a bit overkill for my application. :rolleyes: