Grasshopper vs. Hustler vs. Ferris vs Skagg vs.Everide

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bassngrass, Mar 21, 2005.

1. bassngrass

bassngrass LawnSite Member

I'm a residential home owner and mow about 3 acres of well manicured lawn. I have recently demo'd the following mid-mount ZTR mowers. I would like to ask the experts which one they would buy, and if the prices sound good. Also, I think I will be buying the bagging systems with these mowers, since I like to bag some of the nicer sod around the house, and leaves in the fall. Here goes.

Grasshopper: 223 (61" and 23 hp ac Kohler-$7199) and 327(61" 27 hp LC Kaw-$9100)

Hustler: Standard Z (60" 23 hp AC Kaw-$7299) Super Z (60" 25 hp ac Kaw-$8299)

Ferris IS 3000 (60" 25 HP ac Kaw-2004 demo with 30 hrs-$7800)

Scag: Turf Tiger (60" 27 hp LC Kaw 2004 $8199 or 2005 $8900) Wildcat (60" 27 hp ac Kohler-$7999)

Everide Warrior: (60" 25 HP ac Kaw)-no price yet.

Bobcat (60" 27 hp EFI ac Kohler-$8300) Left over 2004, last one.

My 2 favorites are Grashopper 327 and Hustler Super Z: silky smooth drive systems, compact, and come with nice clam-shell bagging systems. Both seem to cut well. I'm still open minded at this point-so let me know what you think. Quality of cut is very important to me. Anyone use the Hustler or Grasshoper bagging systems?

Thanks!!!

2. SOMM

SOMM LawnSite Senior Member

Grasshopper 327 or Hustler Super Z - from that worthy list of choices.

Like a Dixie Chopper, they've both got the "umph" to power through wet tall fescue or thick Missouri Sun Devil Bermuda grasses.

A bagging system is a waste because both mowers disintegrate clippings and blow and inject them evenly into the turfgrasses you're dealing with, as usable nutrients. Bagging systems for Z's require a seperate blower-motor assembly as well.

That money is better spent on a footswitch-activated, battery-powered, front-mounted rotary spreader so you can spread lime /milorganite / mychorizza onto your turf to fully-compost any clippings and perpetuate self-feeding. Unfed turf will yield you plenty of weeds, friend. If mowing too frequently, procure and apply growth regulator ($500 a gallon, dilutable-concentrate) to strengthen root growth and minimize top growth for up to 6 weeks, so you can mow every 10 days to 2-weeks May-July, even between our rains and "gully-washers".

Regards

3. Planet Landscaping

Planet Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

From that list, I will buy the 2004 Scag Turf Tiger with 27 LC kawi all day payup And U should too! Proven machine @ good price. I think some others might agree,We'll see? :help: Fellas? Of course I run Exmark 27 LC Lazers :angel: .

4. Planet Landscaping

Planet Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

2nd choice Hustler super Z :waving:

5. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with Planet, that '04 Scag would be my choice.

6. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I agree. The 2004 Scag Turf Tiger seems to be the best deal out of all them and Scags are good machines and they definayely cut good. If your yard is rough then look at the Ferris. The 4 wheel suspension really helps out a lot. Rides a lot smoother and cuts better but if your lawn is not rough then get the Scag because its the best deal.

7. Go for the Green

Go for the Green LawnSite Member

Out of the list that you provided..

Scag for sure!

If you have an ExMark dealer nearby you should demo a Lazer as well.

Good luck!

8. jpa375

jpa375 LawnSite Member

Hustler Super Z w/27hp Kawasaki LC and bac-vac collection system. :D

9. bassngrass

bassngrass LawnSite Member

Apreciate all the good advice. I agree, the Scag is definitley the worst riding machine I tested, but it cuts well. Not as smooth driving as the Hustler or Grasshopper. I will be checking the Exmark next-everyone has spoke highley of this Mower (Laser Z). Anything negative about the Hustler? Grashopper? Both dealers in my area are great, so this will not be a big issue in my decision.

Would like tto hear more opinions. Keep 'em coming.

Jim

10. J.Gordon

J.Gordon LawnSite Senior Member

That is a heck of a list you have there!
    I Have a Hustler SWB and can tell you they build some quality equipment, I think you may be able to get a better price on the Super- Z though. And I would get the Super over the regular Z every time. (They’re a blast to run)
    All the machines you have listed are very good machines and I wouldn’t overlook any of them. The Everide I know nothing about except it appeared to me that they borrowed Hustlers brake setup and it looked like it had a high center of gravity, I would pass. (My opinion)
    I haven’t used a Bobcat either but have heard good things about them and the L.C. motor with that price doesn’t seem bad. The suspension on the Ferris would be worth its weight on my place. Down to the Grasshopper, a lot of people have them around here and I have not talked to a owner that said anything bad about one. If it were me, I would Demo all of them a lot because it would be a hard choice.
    Also the dealer would play a major role on my decision. I hope I haven’t confused you to much, but they all have very strong points that should be measured.

Jeff