Grasshopper vs Walker

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowing Freak, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Mowing Freak

Mowing Freak LawnSite Senior Member
    from S.E. Ks

I currently have an '06 walker with little over 300hrs on it as it has been in the shop many times and with drought last year and all the rains this year I couldn't use it. 2 days ago, it went down on me again for the 10th or 11th time. Could be more, but can't remember. I have a 60" diesel walker and am looking at a 60" diesel grasshopper. Anyway, my question is, for those who have run both, how is the quality of cut of a grasshopper compaired with the walker. I really like my walker as it is small and compact but I also need to use it too! Don't really want a this brand is better than that as I can read plenty of those on this site. I am just inquiring about Grasshopper compaired to Walker for now. Thanks!

2. mcduff48

mcduff48 LawnSite Member

Are you sticking with a front cut( 722D) or mid mount(322D)?

3. MysticLandscape

MysticLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member

What keeps happening to the walker? I have 05 diesel with 460 Hrs and I have never had a problem. (knock on wood)

4. Mowing Freak

Mowing Freak LawnSite Senior Member
    from S.E. Ks

I am looking at the front mount 928d with the flip up deck. My walker overheats very easily. I don't think I would worry too much about your '05 walker if you haven't had any problems with it yet. My problems started from day one. The temp guage would read high 220-230 an my old '98 would consistantly be at 190-195. I have another thread on here about that but am waiting to see what the dealer finds out as I have thrown the "lawyer" and "lemon law" words out now. Also, the cooling fan keeps breaking. Monday, I was mowing with it when I look down at the temp, it was 240 and then the fan breaks right then. Thats when my temp went to 400! I had just got it out of the shop 2-3mos ago for a broken fan. They changed the design to thinner blades and I have had 3 fans replaced. This will be the forth. Found out last night another LCO is having the same overheating issues with his mower. I really like walker, but cant have it in the shop all the time.

5. mathews

mathews LawnSite Member

I own both a 928d and a 20hp 42" walker. Knock on wood, havent had that many problems with my walker, but i only have around 160hrs on my 928, so havent really had a chance to tell ya how its holdin up, so far so good. I also have a 225 gh and its been a great mower

6. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

The Grasshopper 928D will not overheat unless you let the radiator screen plug with debris. I have owned many different models of Grasshopper diesel machines, mowed with them in 100 degree+ temps. and never had an overheating problem.

7. okie2

okie2 LawnSite Member

Hey Mowingman, where can I find me a good used grasshopper ztr for my home and a few others? Also, if I cant comply with the 1.9% financing charge what would be my next option?

8. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Well, the 928D is quite a bit bigger than the walker...

But it's a lot more durable machine that is better designed and you can do a lot more with it.

I think the key to being pleased to the highest degree with the Grasshopper outfronts is to GO ALL-OUT. What I mean is... get all the nice options... suspension seat for you... dual tail wheels for to keep the wheel mark out of the stripes... the full floatation deck feature for best rolling with the terrain... the powerfold for maintenance and saving trailer space........... and if you want to mulch or bag, get those items too.

9. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Used Grasshoppers are hard to come by around here. People hang on to them for a long time. We have only had 3 Grasshopper trade-ins in 4 years. I would check with any local Grasshopper dealers. I also see a few every week on Ebay, but they mostly seem to be east of the Mississipi for some reason.
    There are quite a few finance plans available through Grasshopper dealers, so if one does not work for you, the dealer can try others depending on your credit situation. You can also try your local banker if you have one you are friendly with.

10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic