Grasshopper ZT ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by moose203, Dec 10, 2007.

1. moose203

moose203 LawnSite Member

Any one have any thing good or bad to say about Grasshopper zero turns i would like to see some pros and cons. seriously thinking of buying a 60 in mid mount.

Jason

2. pclawncare

pclawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 61" 223 model rides rought but i mow areas that are realy rough the flat areas i mow with it does good. The cut can sometimes leave a little to be desired but i think it could be because the 23 hours is slightly under powered i feel for this machine. Over all no problems at all very surprised and impressed with durability. i have demoed a ferris with 25hp kaw and i like that machine alot and the ride is much improved over the grasshopper. If you want a machine to brush hog with and not want a perfect fine cut grasshopper is the machine for you.

3. Pietro

Pietro LawnSite Senior Member

lol^ My company is P&C Lawn and Landscape.

4. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I have a 227 61" myself. It's a really great machine, other than the fricking KOHLER engine! The cut on mine is GREAT, no complaints there at all. The deck will load up in really wet conditions, but, what mower dosn't? Have one mechanical issue in 300 hours, and it's a drive pulley on one hydro pump. Somehow it's wallered (techinacal term) out the hole in the pulley and the bolt that holds it on kept coming loose. I have "rigged" it back together with a couple washers, but it will get repaired right this winter since it's under waranty still.

If you plan on just using it to side discahrge, the 27hp is enough, but if you want to bag or mulch aggressivly, you may consider stepping up to the 35hp big block. (the 335) I use a 3 bag catcher on mine about 98% of the time, and often I'm grabbing for more power. I think the engine configuration sucks up some horse power, it uses a Horz. shaft engine and then a "mule drive" belt to run the deck. Just a guess, but that 90 degree bend and all the twists in the belt probably robs 3 to 5 HP off the top end. It also may just be that the Kohler engine I have is junk... The dealer really dosn't seem interested in even trying to find out if it's putting out the correct power or not. I had to adjust the goveneor myself even. Now it's running BAD off and on, and I have no idea what the heck is going on. Of course it's intermittent, so taking it to the mechanic is pointless...

Other than the engine problems from the Kohler, I'm pretty hooked on Grasshoppers now. I really never thought I'd be getting that good of a cut from a 61" mower. Biggest I ever used to use was 50", and the GH does a LOT better than those did.

5. moose203

moose203 LawnSite Member

any one else ?

6. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

Depends on what you are cutting. I run a 223/52 and 322d/61. On nice lawns the cut is great and the ride and handling is great. If your mowing alot of sticky stuff [henbit, clover, vetch ] the deck starts to choke and in wet conditions forget it. I have a mulch kit on the 52 and in normal conditions and for leaves it is great.

7. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

I thought Grasshopper was it, all the major landscaping companies around here used them. I bought a 2006 722D w/61in. for $12000.00. I was pretty much a newbie cutting grass, and I thought all lawnmowers cut like mine. It left a trail of grass right beside the deck and it looked I was going to go back and bale hay. The clumps of grass it left were ridiculous. I tried 3 different sets of blades, and still the same problem. I had to buy a $500 back pack blower to blow off my lawns after I mowed. If the grass was halfway wet it would bog up and die, and mowing at the top speed of 7mph was always impossible. Most of the time I would not only have to slow way down, but go back over to get a halfway descent cut. I started noticing that almost everyone around here has baggers on their GH mowers. After establishing over 30 yards and a couple of cemetaries it was time to get another mower. I went with a Bad Boy Lightning 26hp liquid-cooled kawasaki with indepedent suspension and air seat for $7495 and got a bagger system with it for $1800 honestly just because of the look of it and the sheer price compared to anything I looked at. To my surprise after recieving it and taking off the bagger hose to check cut quality without, it threw the grass way out..and guess what? no clumps! With this mower I honest to God cut my mowing times in half at every single account I had, and one homeowner actually gave me a $50 raise because she said her yard looked better than it ever had!! I soon found out, how much more build quality was involved in this mower. I am now a bonafied believer and have recently sold my Hopper to a guy in NC and now have a Bad Boy 28hp caterpillar diesel 60in. that I got for $11000. There is no comparison, 15mph with a clean cut, and it rides like a caddy. Please do what I didn't and really get out and compare and demo. All of these companies should let you mow before you buy, if they don't, that tells you something right there. Hell, a commercial mower is a "huge" purchase and it needs alot of research before jumping into. DON'T LISTEN TO OTHER PEOPLE, FIND OUT YOURSELF! Hope this ranting helps you with your future purchase....Kevin

8. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I had contracts to mow a lot of city properties. Some, like the big parks, needed to look really great. Some others, like the landfill and code enforcement mowing, were nearly brush hog type projects. I used only Grasshopper midmounts on all of these and could mow in any and all conditions. The landfill even looked like a park after mowing with the Grasshoppers. I was so impressed with my Grasshoppers that I became a dealer.
    Before owning my first Grasshopper, I had owned 7 different major brands of ZTR's. Not one of those ever really gave me the performance I was looking for. In my opinion, you just can't go wrong with a Grasshopper. I say that as a satisfied owner/user, not as a dealer.