Grasshopper

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rrooster, May 18, 2001.

1. rrooster

rrooster LawnSite Member

Am seriously concidering purchasing a Grasshopper 725 W/61" flip up and hydrolic lift. Have looked at and seen Dixie and Toro work. Would like some imput from anyone using Grasshopper!

2. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have owned 2 Grasshoppers. The first was a 720K w/52 mulching deck, the second and current machine is a 725G2 w/52 mulching deck. The first machine had problems beause of the 20 hp Kohler (broken cam gear). My current machine is a pure pleasure to own. It currently has about 1000 hours on it and has not given me one bit of problems. Overall, a much better machine than the first one. I considered getting the flip up deck with this one but couldn't see the added expense being worth it. It also is not as easy to flip up as they make it look in the brochures. Get a jungle jack instead, it's quick and cheap. I have no experience with the hydraulic deck lift system but it seems like overkill to me. I mean, how often can you change your deck height while doing one job? Just my .02

3. swn

swn LawnSite Member

I have 3 grasshoppers. The newest one is a 725 with a 61" deck. It has a 25 hp kohler. I really like it. I also considered the the flip up deck and the hydraulic lift, but I did not get either one. I agree with mowerman 90, that the flip up deck looks a lot easier than it actually is. The hydraulic lift would be nice if you plan to get the aererator(ever how you spell it) that grasshopper offers. But otherwise I wouldn't get it.

4. boozoo

boozoo LawnSite Member

I have a 725 G2, 800 hours, 52" deck, with both the flip-up deck and the Hydraulic lift. I didn't want the flip up deck, but had to have my original regular deck replaced (gratis) by Grasshopper because the pressure exerted by the hydraulic lift kept me from having the correct pitch. The flip-up is actually pretty simple, I can do it in about 2 minutes by myself, adn it does come in handy when replacing blades, checking gearbox oil, etc; but I still prefer the other deck, less moving parts and stuff to go wrong. The hydraulic lift on the other hand is GREAT! I use it constantly, more than I ever dreamed I would - jumping curbs, getting up steep hills, avoiding obstacles and scalping situations, and it saves me mucho time doing leaves in the fall. Like my dealer said, once you've had one you never go back. If they would go trouble free for 2000-3000 hours, I would never own another mower, but . . .

5. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I looked at both the Grasshopper front deck models and the midmount models. Idecided to go with the 428D midmount (72";Diesel) and I love the machine. I have just had one small problem, throttle cable broke, but dealer had factory UPS one direct to me and I was only down a morning. I toured the factory before buying and was super impressed with their engineering and quality control. Grasshopper does not have a big following on this list, but I think a lot of people are overlooking some great machines.:blob3:

6. boozoo

boozoo LawnSite Member

Mowingman, let me know how you feel after about 1000 hours . . .

7. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

boozoo,
    I will let you know how things progress with the Grasshopper as the hours accumulate. Downtime and inability to get parts quickly will change my opinion,(should these situations arise). I have a good dealer here, so we will see what happens. So far, I'm still in love with it.:D

8. boozoo

boozoo LawnSite Member

hey Mowingman, best of luck with your Grasshopper. I've had 6 of them (I have 3 now, 2 front-mounts and a mid-mount) and when they are NEW, I like them better than most anything, I especially like the front mount with the G2, and the Kubota engine is tops. IMO, they are the most versatile mower on the market (the front mount, I mean) because they have a good finish cut, they bag well, they cut fast, and they minimize trimming. There are probably better mowers in each of these categories, but none as good in all categories. The only problem: durability. My experience has been two years and then trade'em back in while you can, before you start having lots of down time. Anybody else hae this opinion?

9. RMc Lawn

RMc Lawn LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

I have 2. The first is a 720 Kohler w/ 61" deck the second is a725 G2 w/ 25 kubota. I love the G2. Much smoother and the flip up deck is great for cleaning and changing blades. I would really like to try the new midmount though.

10. mike01

mike01 LawnSite Member

We (Yard Barbers Inc.) purchased our first grass hopper this year at a trade show, it was a demo with a good price, $8,900. Its a 725k kohler gas engine,with a 61" front mount deck. We also purchased the "Aera-vator" attachment ($3,600). Plugged one side of my yard used the Aera-vator on the other, what a differance the Area-vator made! I will post the pics as soon as they are developed. Coreless aeration is the way to go!

Needless to say we have been very pleased with the package.