grasshopper

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by brentlbishop, Sep 8, 2006.

1. brentlbishop

brentlbishop LawnSite Member

i have a grasshopper mower and the bearings in the middle pulley went out. i cant seem to get the pulley off .i took the top bolt off and all the bolts of the housin is there a trick ,can some one help me*trucewhiteflag*

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Well, First off spray the shaft and pulley with Fluid Film or the like and let the pulley drop down on the deck surface. Reinstall the bolt without the washers and tap the head of the bolt and see if you can drive the shaft down out of the pulley. But be careful not to smash the V part of the pulley together.

Oh....Welcome to LawnSite.

Good Luck

3. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

This top center sheave can be a bear to get off, if water has gotten down under the washer that fits on the top. Keep the spindle assy. tightly bolted to the deck while you try to get this sheave off. I saturate the top of the shaft and surrounding sheave center with a rust solvent. then, install the bolt, and try driving the shaft downward. A puller may work to remove the sheave, but will almost always destroy the sheave by bending it. Sometimes, I just give up, and use a torch to cut off the sheave. This will also destroy the spindle shaft, but saves a lot of time. The shaft and sheave are not that expensive if you have to go the cutting torch route.
    When you put everything back together, use a lot of antisieze on that shaft before you install the 2 sheaves on it.

4. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

to add to restrorobs advice is to take 2 flat pry bars or tire irons and slide under the pulley apposed from each other. while slightly prying up on the pulley strike the bolt sharply. don't have the bolt sticking way up either. just screw the bolt in all the way and back it out 2 turns then hit it with a 3 pound hammer.