Grasshopper

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dhicks, Nov 13, 2001.

1. dhicks

dhicks Member

I rec'd some stuff the otherday from Grasshopper regarding the 600, 700 and I think the 900 series outfront machines.

While I like the idea of an outfront mower I like the attachments available for the 'hopper much better. For example, I'm interested in the Aera-vator and snow blower attachments.

I saw the 'hopper at Expo and commented back in July that the deck looked a little weak (IMHO) as compared to other machines.

Who's running a 'hopper? Most comments would be appreciated.

And yes, I did the search thingy but I want more up todate information.

--Thanks

2. HAVE run grasshoppers for several years currently have 3 out front and 2 mid mount models have not had any deck problems.

3. LJ lawn

LJ lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I don't know how they're making them now but i have a 94 model 54" and the deck is heavy as hell.

4. JML

JML LawnSite Senior Member

i had a 1998 hopper w/ the 25 kubota. the motor was awesome, the deck was very tough, but I had nothing but problems with the hydros. I really liked the machine, but would never buy another one..

5. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

If you get one, get a 700 or 900 series with the G2 hydrostatic drive. It is supposed to be much tougher than the old Gemini hydro system.
    I have a fairly new,(200hrs),428D midmount 72". I like it. the deck has worked fine for me, and I use it on some rough properties.:)

6. dhicks

dhicks Member

Have y'all got any of the G'hopper attachments? How do you like 'em?

7. have got a blade and it surprised me how well it pushes snow works , have also used a bed shaper on it and did a very good job.

8. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I've had 2, the latest being a 725 with the G2 trans that I had to sell for junk because the right side wheel motor and hydro went bad at 1187 hours. Would have cost $2150 to repair. Grasshopper thinks their parts are made of "Gold" and wants extremely high prices for their parts. (my opinion). Example 1: 1 gal hydro oil is aprox $70, 2 required for change. Example 2: one v-bar tire from dealer is $190 (bought one from wholesaler for $50) the list goes on and on. Buy the way, my first hopper had hydro problems too, it had 1500 hours when I junked it. I'll never buy another.

9. jdjoe_97

jdjoe_97 LawnSite Member

I have owned three 721D's in the past five years. I would NEVER buy another one. The first I bought used and with 913 hrs on it ran great with the kubota diesel. But the hyro went out at 1000hrs. Dearler "fixed" it, but didn't. Company had no customer support with me on this. I ended up getting a Ohio State Rep for hopper to put a new hydro in it for free. Then I traded on a new on 721D and this one the Kubota diesel smoked and used oil from the get go. Once again neither Kubota or Grasshopper wanted to take the hit on this. FINALLY got them to give me a new 721D G2 for only $2 per hour on the old machine. This one was finally a good one, but at 112 hrs. the deck casters were already loosening up and needed work. I sold it to a home owner. I WILL NEVER NEVER consider a hopper again.

Now I run nothing but Deere, and have a pair of M665's and love them. I know some guys on here don't like them but they out mow the hoppers hands down. ANd the best part they only cost around $7800. Joe

10. LJ lawn

LJ lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

well,since everone is slamming the heck out of grasshopper,has anyone owned a newer WOODS mowin'machine mower?unfortunately ther isn't much of a choice when it comes to out front deck machines.Mowerman-i seriously thought about coming down to get that mower -but it's been too hectic to get away + i hate that ride-16+ hours- I do it every other year comin' down to bike week.