grasshopper

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by garyslawn, Apr 19, 2008.

1. garyslawn

garyslawn LawnSite Member
    from NE Ohio

I just bought a Grasshopper, with a bagger on back, at an auction. What is the best way to get it up to change blades? The deck does not fold up and I am afraid I will hurt it if I just lift the front. Thanks Gary

2. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

Jungle jack. You shouldn't hurt it. If its that fragile, you got ripped off.

if what the grass goes into is too low, take it off before you change blades.

3. SkyCaptain

SkyCaptain LawnSite Member

My old boss used to have the old grasshopper z-turns. If I ever run across them I'd buy them in a sec. I envy you. They are very rugged and the best mower I have ever been on. You can't beat the cut. I wouldn't worry about hurting it. It is the '51 Mercury of mowers. It will last a life time.

4. logans lawns

logans lawns LawnSite Member

well what i do is pull the mower on the ramp of the trailer with one wheel on and the other off to change one side, then i simply do the exact thing on the other side.

5. johnnybravo8802

johnnybravo8802 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Ga.

Hang it off the ramp on your trailer.

6. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

No one asked the obvious question... is it a mid mount or a front mount mower deck?

I think that all front mount grasshoppers, other than the 72" decks will fold up for service. The midmounts you can just use a floor jack (like for the truck) to get under the deck. Yes a Jungle jack is a cool tool, I have one for mine, love it. But, if you aren't needing to get under the deck several times a week it wouldn't be a good investment.

7. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like he is talking about an out front mower that the lift is not working or stuck. I demoed an out front Grasshopper and they were having trouble with the lift at the dealership. I would think they would be reliable though as many loyal customers as they have.

8. A floor jack under either one will work fine.

9. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Front deck Grasshoppers did not have fold-up decks until about 2002. I can not remember the exact year they introduced their first fold-up deck. It was kind of a pain to get it folded up. That early version only lasted about a year or two, then they came up with the fold-up system they use now. It is very easy to fold, even if you only have the manual type.

10. mjlcare

mjlcare LawnSite Member

i have a front mounted grasshopper love it to death easy to work on and it has over 4500 hrs on it.

just put a jack under the front of it and it will be fine you can do anything to them and they wont break if youve put it on a trailer youll see that it will bend like crazy even the foot guard will come up toward you

it bends just like the one that fold up so no worries and you got a hell of a deal

what model? engine? deck? hrs?

curious

Presentation1.jpg