Grasshopper

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by hagen, Oct 2, 2002.

1. hagen

hagen LawnSite Member
    from texas

i have a grasshopper 721D g2 and it is probably 3 or 4 years old and i talked to the grasshopper rep the other day and he said the new ones have different decks than the old ones. He said that the new one let more air in to shoot the grass out faster meaning being able to mow faster. has any one used the older style deck and is currently using the new style deck? can you tell any differnce in the way the new deck cut? and will the new mowers mow faster because of the new decks?

2. jkelton

jkelton LawnSite Member

Yes, the rep is correct. The deck is deeper, which contributes to the better and faster cut. Also, the flip deck is definitely the one you want - much easier to get underneath the deck that jacking the frontend up or running it up on the trailer to change out blades. The newer decks have the larger arbor housing flange which provide larger surface area for stress (decks used to bend at arbor housing) - can't remember right off hand when they made that change. Many other features make this deck better and stronger compared to the older decks. Is your deck in poor shape? How many hours do you have on the machine? We (my father actually) is the Grasshopper dealer in our area. The 721D is a very good machine, especially with the G2 transmission. That engine is awesome - it's designed to outlast the rest of the machine.

3. hagen

hagen LawnSite Member
    from texas

it has 345 hours on it. i am considering selling it next summer what would you think it would be worth. the mower is in good shape

4. jkelton

jkelton LawnSite Member

Hagen,
    There's alot of factors involved with pricing a machine - just depends on your area and finding out what people are willing to withstand. In our area, I would venture to say $6000~$6500. Again, in you're area it may be more or less. For that age of machine, it doesn't have as many hours as we generally see. I would get the local classifieds or auto/implement classified magazine and see what other people are asking for similiar machines. Or, you could ask your local dealer (unless you plan on trading it in).

5. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Hagen,
    I am in North Texas, and around here you have a hard time selling a used commercial mower. Everyone wants a new one. I sold three this year, two 60" kohler-powered machines, and a 321D Grasshopper with 3000 hrs on it. Here is what I was able to get for them.
    Toro,60"/23hp Kohler/1 yr old/200hrs. $5900.00
    Bobcat,60"/22hp Koh./6yrs old/600hrs $2900.00
    Grasshopper 321D,3000hrs/8yrs old $2200.00
    :)