Grasshoppers, real ones !

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TLS, Aug 31, 2001.

1. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Anybody in the Northeast notice an EXTRA extreme amount of Grasshoppers this year?

A few of my bigger country lawns have tons of them. They are really annoying when they hop up under your shorts and try to get out! Really wakes you up! I guess they are just glad that they didn't become "CHOPPED" by the mower.

2. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I'm starting to see a lot of them here. But it always seems like they're everywhere here.:blob3:

3. roscioli

roscioli LawnSite Senior Member

YES! I was actually going to post this last week.. they are everywhere! Its kinda like the lady bugs, (i heard that was from some science experiment, that took off like they didnt think it would). I wonder if the grasshoppers are the same deal.

4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

We have way more grasshopers than normal in the Windy City area too. I too, was going to post about this subject.

5. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

yep here too. I think that because they are larger this time of yr makes them stickout more.

6. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

I counted 346 on my lawn last night. kidding, but there are lots of them along with walking sticks and praying mantises everywhere. Daveg

7. roscioli

roscioli LawnSite Senior Member

I have only seen one walking stick here in the past 5-8 years, what cool looking things. Preying Manthises on the other hand, I have seen. THere have been some bugs that look like them, but not completely like htem... very strange things.

8. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

We have alot here also. And I thought the grasshoppa up the shorts was just one of the perks of this business! Could just be me though.

9. Hoosier Mower

Hoosier Mower LawnSite Member

Well like everywhere else I've been seeing a ton of them around here the past few weeeks too, also a large number of snakes....damn I hate snakes!

10. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Chopped a snake up Thursday doing a ditch area with my 21". That was gross. Snakes give me the willys.