Grasshoppers SUX

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ChrisYanik, Mar 28, 2000.

1. ChrisYanik

ChrisYanik LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

Has anyone ever had problems with bolts coming lose on the Grasshoppers Gemini transmission. I bought my mower used and the previous owner had the dealer tear out one of the hydrostatic transmissions and do some work on it. After about 30 hours of use, the serviced hydro began leaking oil, so took the transmission to the dealer and told him to fix it. Well yesterday I was out working and I noticed that oil was pouring out the hydro. A bolt on the hydro had losened up and part of the gasket pushed its way through. The dealer's being a BIT*H and won't fix the problem because he stated that I was misuseing the mower.<p>Just wondering if anyone else has had similar problems with the Gemini transmission on their Grasshoppers.

2. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I haven't had a problem with oil pouring out of em. But I did have a hydro failure and the dealer and distributor try to blame it on overheating because it was not kept &quot;clean enough&quot;. <p>When I bought my Grasshopper new I thought it was the best mower on the market. The machine is built pretty well, but from my experience with several big problems, the dealers (around here) and Grasshopper itself will leave you hanging out to dry.

3. excel25

excel25 LawnSite Senior Member

Buoght mine new No troubel with it at all in (2) years. Love it!!!!!!!! I still feel good at the end of the day...unlike when I had a scage.

4. jb lawn

jb lawn LawnSite Member

I run 4 grasshoppers , had to have rings and a valve job on one, not bad for 3200 hours, don't think you can get that out of any others.

5. docshank

docshank LawnSite Member

I've had nothing but good experiences with Grasshopper. You'll be hard pressed to find a mower that will last as long as a Kubota powered Grasshopper.<p>----------<br>Doc Shank<br>

6. gorrell

gorrell LawnSite Senior Member

I must concur with the doctor. I'm running two kubota powered grasshoppers(one gas and one diesel)and have not encountered any problems with either unit. Try it and buy it! Thanks, Lynn

7. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I also have two Grasshopper mowers and have never had any kind of major problem.

8. tjg

tjg LawnSite Member

I have have had six all together and no major problems. Right now I have 2 1999 725 w/ the 3 cylinder Kubota and like both. Any one else tried the new Grasshopper blades yet, cost me $13.20 each,mow the wet,tall,weeds w/o caking up under the decks like the Contour blades do. <p>----------<br>T.J. Greenfield<br>

9. tjg

tjg LawnSite Member

I had a change in equipment as of today,I traded my two 99' 725 in on two 725 G2 trans. w/ a flip up decks. If anyone else has used the new G2 trans. I would like to know how they did for you.<p>----------<br>T.J. Greenfield<br>

10. excel25

excel25 LawnSite Senior Member

Mine is a G2 and have not had any trouble withit at all. they came out with the flip-up deck just after I got my 725. Just put the new discharge kit and blades on today, will try tommrow.