Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TFL, Jul 18, 2002.

1. TFL

TFL LawnSite Member

Is grasshopper the same commercial qaulity as is exmark so on. also is the outfront or mid deck better and how much should i expect to pay for one with 20-25hp and 50-60 inch deck
  2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I'm sorry, but no, Jeremy, there ISn't a Santa Claus, and no, the overall quality is not the same. :D Just take a look at the decks, for instance. This will show you a a beginning of the differences. There are many on here that have owned and ran both, and THEY can tell you all the differences. Most have gone from the Grasshoppers to Lazers, and have said they would never go back. I do know of one person though, that went from Lazer to Grasshopper. I think this was part of a buyout, if I'm not mistaken. Talk to drgrass, he can surely tell you about the Grasshoppers, as he owns both types.
  3. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
  4. hoagie

hoagie LawnSite Member

I've used both hoppers and lazers for yrs... and Runners right. In my experience the hoppers are just to flimsy and not tough enough for commercial abuse.

Grass collection system works very well (and is cool that you dont have to get off the machine to dump) but if you turn and hit a tree or a house the thing just falls apart in no time. Clogs are a problem too.

Also sucks on any kind of a slope (w/ the catcher on).
  5. jkelton

jkelton LawnSite Member

I might have to jump into this one. Our family has been selling Grasshoppers for approx. 12 years in our area. I think both Grasshopper and Exmark are quality built machines. We have noticed a significant reduction of service problems since the introduction of the midmount machines from Grasshopper a few years ago (mainly due to less wear points on the midmount vs. outfront). Take a strong look at the dealer in your area and see if he/she is capable of taking care of your needs (service). Either case you will be getting a good machine.

BTW - we sell the Grasshopper 225 (25hp Kohler, 61" deck) for $7499 and this model is by far our most popular.
  6. Wayward

Wayward LawnSite Member

I've never owned an Exmark but I do have two Grasshopper 428D's. One has about 400 hours and the other I just picked up this season. I haven't had any problems at all with these machines. The decks are 5.5" deep and are 10 gauge top with 7 gauge skirts and reinforcements. Transmissions are Hydro Gear pumps and Ross wheel motors.
  7. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I own two Grasshopper midmount machines, both diesels, and they are high-quality, well-built machines. I have owned most major brands of midmounts and have now standardised on Grasshoppers for my diesels and Dixie Chopper for my Gas engines. I just sold an old front-deck 721D that had 3000HRs on it. Only had hydro transmissions replaced one time, everything else was original and running strong. I have toured the Grasshopper factory and it is very hi-tech with great quality control.
    My machines are used in some very abusive conditions. One place is a landfill that has a 3000' long berm along a road. This berm is 18'high and so steep that the uphill front wheel of the mower is off the ground most of the time as I mow across this thing. It is also very rough. I have not found a ZTR that will stick to this slope as well as the Grasshopper 321D does. Mowers That could not handle this slope included, Bobcat, Skag, Toro,JD,Exmark, and Dixie Chopper. I think Grasshoppers are really overlooked , and underestimated for some reason. Try one, I think you will be surprised:)
  8. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I've got 1997 and 1999 Grasshopper 725's(out front decks). Next year I'm looking at something else. My 99 has had tons of problems. This year I bet I've spent about 30 hours making repairs to the thing. It just turned 1000 hours.
  9. TFL

TFL LawnSite Member

Thanks I am leaning towards the Grasshopper because of the dealer. I bought all my other mowers from him and he has been great has replaced broke belts and changed oil for free on all my machines throughout the warrenty and he has them out of the shop or another mower on my trailer in 2 hours. Don't think i can beat that service. I also mow 90% of the people who work for him including the two owners (brothers) lawns.
  10. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

Ask your dealer if he'll change the hydro oil in your G2 trans for free? At $75+ per gallon (2 gal needed) I don't think so. I'm sorry, but I've owned 2 Grasshoppers and I don't think you could even give me one now that I've had a Husquvarna 52" Z. My Husky mows rings around the GH (and 2 qts of Mobil One are a lot cheaper than GH Hydro oil).