Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by YardHopper, Nov 5, 2003.

1. YardHopper

YardHopper LawnSite Member

I was wondering if any of yall use Grasshoppers? All I read about is eXmark. They seem like a pretty nice mower and all. I was just wondering if yall didn't like Grasshoppers or if any one in your area just dosn't sell them or what. Im from Bowling Green, Ky and all we use is grasshoppers (plus we also have the worlds largest grasshopper dealer in the U.S.). But I was just wondering, let me know.
  2. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

Did you mean to say "weall use Grasshoppers" ? :D
  3. floridalawncare

floridalawncare LawnSite Member

well i've used grasshoppers in the past but i switched back to scag. grasshopper is still my second favorite machine. dixie is ok too. alot of people seem to use exmark up north. but here in south fla they're not as common. dixie and scag are very popular. grasshopper would be if they had better dealers. the scag seems to have super long bearing life. grasshoppers pto spindle had to be replaced about twice a year. dixie's deck spindles about once a year. scag's has failed only once. grasshopper has awesome belt life though. never wore one out! they'd just dry rot eventually.
  4. doublesharp

doublesharp LawnSite Senior Member

Hi florida lc. Do you know Jake in Moore Haven? All he uses is Grasshoppers. Think he said his dealer is in LaBelle. Do you get out on Okeechobee much?
  5. floridalawncare

yes to all double sharp. jake is a friend of mine for about 10yrs now. he uses the same guy i do for grasshoppers in moore haven. a place called wolf lawn machines. call him at 863-946-0236. you'll never find better service than this. he even opened on sunday for me and fixed my mower once at no extra charge.
  6. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I think a lot of people just think of front deck machines when they think about Grasshopper. They don't know, or forget that Grasshopper has a very good selection of midmount deck mowers. My partner and I are 100% Grasshopper. We have 2 diesel midmounts, and one gasoline powered midmount. We never have any trouble with any of them. The have a great cut, are comfortable to operate, and have been very dependable.:D
  7. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I've got 2 of them - both 725's. And I have various attachments for them.
  8. J lawn

J lawn LawnSite Member

I have the woods model 5215 with the 61 inch deck and the 21hp liquid cooled diesel. I have 1200 hrs on the machine now and dealer told me that the motors are rated for 7000 hrs with the proper maintenance. Anybody come close to reaching that for hours. My machine is a little older and I was worried about the hydros going bad.

J lawn
  9. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I had an old 721D,with the 61" deck, and a 21hp Kubota diesel and it had over 3000hrs on it when I sold it. The hydros, the Gemini type, were replaced at 3000hrs. The engine was still running strong and used no oil. The homeowner I sold it to, has used it for two seasons now, and he said it still runs good. I would guess by next season, it will have 4000hrs on it.:)
  10. floridalawncare

i'm afraid you're right mowingman. people think of front mount on grasshoppers. i've had better luck with the mid mount. for some reason the pto spindle was a pain on the front mount. but it's not used on the mid mount. they are good machines.