grassroots supersoil

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mrkosar, Dec 17, 2007.

1. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I know this has type of product has been discussed, but was wondering if anyone has any experience, opinion, etc..with the product called GrassRoots Supersoil (Natural Liquid Aeration).

I think core aeration with plugs will always be the best way to go, but this type of product is still interesting to me, especially if has beneficial micros that improve the soil life.

2. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I received the info packet from them, but have yet to watch the DVD. I have yet to see pricing, but I have a feeling it's easier to buy the materials and mix them up yourself.

3. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

no one else has heard of, has a opinion on, or used this product? wow, everyone must be set in their ways i guess.

4. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I have never heard of the product you are talking about...but I have seen other products that were supposed to do the same thing.

I heard the liquid aeration products are a joke in talking with others...but have never used them myself.

What is the cost of using a product like this?

Like you...I think aeration will always have to be a mechanical act. If you are looking to decrease thatch and increase soil mass in a compacted soil I don't see a liquid (or snake oil as we call things like that) making any major changes.

Yes adding bacteria and microbes would be a great thing...but aerating the soil may be a bit far fetched.

Tell you what I do: I have a 2 acre lawn and I always try it on my lawn first and then take plenty of pics.

5. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Polyelectrolytes (the ingredient in supersoil) are very effective as a surfactant, just don't use too much in a solution.
    Often the compaction issues are too extreme for something like this to work very well. I assume that is why you see such varing results with these types of products

The main use is as a thickener for hair gels and shampoo's.

6. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

I have used it on 2 lawns here back in October. One Bermuda 32k, One zoysia 45k. They both needed something done and they both had the money and actually requested it when I mentioned it to them.( They could afford it and were willing to take a chance) The problem with what I did was the timing. The lawns wind down here about that time and go completely dormant at first or second frost( about first week of November). That limits your ability to see a whole lot of positive results. I have gone back to both lawns a couple of times and used a soil knife to see if compaction has been releived. It seems to be working.Of course, rain makes digging easier. I am not totally convinced yet. I'll know more this Spring. Cost, $65/gallon. Rate 4oz/ 1000. They charged no shipping at the time. Lots of pictures and testimonials on their website www.suprsoil.com.
    Note: The largest LCO in this area is offering it as an add on/optional service. Fairway Lawns. They have a web site.

7. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Thanks Ted!

Just a side note....just because another LCO is offering it wouldn't mean much to me. I know a lot of people that make poor recommendations to benefit themselves (pocket book). Not saying that is the case here...but just something to keep in mind.

Since I am bored...I am going to look more into this and learn more about it!

Have a good one!

RC

8. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

That works out to $2.00 per 1000 for the product. It doesn't seem cost prohibitive to me.......well...... if it relieves soil compaction problems.

What would you charge to core aerate, over seed and top dress per 1000? I would think that would be the next type of application used to relieve soil compaction in this instance or would you use something else?

Assuming you could get some verifiable results

9. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

Bill,
    I know that core aeration is very beneficial to the lawns. Quite honestly, my problem with it is time. I just don't have any of it to spare. Another thing is equipment. In this part of the country we don't overseed. There is no need to. The bermuda and zoysia send out runners and cover over quickly with mowing,watering and a fertility program. The only time an aerator would be used would be to do aerations on customers who requested it. Not worth purchasing a machine.I could rent one, but then I run into the time factor. Just enough to do to be too much but not enough to justify the expense and time. I was hoping this "liquid aeration" would be the answer. I'm already rigged up to spray. Time will tell. I'm not "selling" it because I'm not sold yet.

10. PHS

PHS LawnSite Senior Member

I didn't read the entire site but it specifically says that the material is specifically designed to eleviate sodium problems in the soil. So unless you have a sodic soil I wouldn't waste my time with it. If you have a sodic soil then give it a shot as that is what it's made for. IMO even if you remove the excess sodium in the soil whether with Gypsum or with this material the degraded soil structure (I hesitate to call it compaction) is going to be very very slow to improve. I would use these products in conjunction with aeration and topdressing not as a replacement.