grassy weed ID, help

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lilmarvin4064, Jul 19, 2007.

1. lilmarvin4064

lilmarvin4064 LawnSite Senior Member

This stuff is all over the place, Dimension does not prevent it. It looks like a summer annual and leaves yellow "tufts" during the winter months. I looked through dozens of grassy weed ID pictures and could not ID it. please help.

wait... I think I just found a match... Is this orchardgrass?

2. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

goosegrass? hard to tell...
  3. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Orchard Grass doesn't have any hair on the leaf or leaf margins, but it does have a membranous ligule. Can you describe the leaf, ligule absent or present, stem, seed head etc?

Not sure what it is, but my guess would be yellow fox by looking at the pics, but the leaf seems too narrow maybe.
  4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

5. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

We have that down here in TN. We call it "Sagegrass" It is generally though to habitate in acid soil. I'll see the county extention agent and try to find a little info. But here is Broomsedge or sagegrass: See what you think.
  6. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Do you have any ornamental grasses in the landscape around your property? Often times some of those will self seed themselves everywhere, and in the lawn.
  7. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

Exactly what I thought when I seen the pic
    I have customers with ornamental grass in landscape and it will grow in the surrounding lawn areas.
    In the pic with weed grass in lawn it is growing in a circle just like ornamental grass does
  8. patterson

patterson LawnSite Member

There was a post on Purdue's web site a while back in the Turf Tips section. Can't remember about the hairy bits, but that looks like Downy Broam. Bit late in the year for it though. I'm too lazy to come up with the link, but try the Purdue web site.
  9. lilmarvin4064

lilmarvin4064 LawnSite Senior Member

It's all over the adjacent field. It doesn't appear to have any ligules. Hairs are protruding from leaf margins.

looks like broomsedge to me.

10. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

DO NOT LET IT BLOOM!!!! It's like milk weed--spreading it spawn with every little wisp of wind. What is your turf? Roy