grassy weed id

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mrkosar, Apr 11, 2007.

1. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

here is another i have seen in the past and could never figure out what grassy weed it is. darker green color, but broader leaf. it stands out in blue/rye/fescue lawns. always seems to stand a little taller too.

IMG_0908.JPG

IMG_0909.JPG

2. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

It looks like quackgrass. Does it have clasping auricles? If so it is Quack.

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Ky 31 tall fescue.

4. mrkosar

from Ohio

i don't know about the auricles, but it doesn't look like k31 at all. it doesn't really grow in clumps. kinda mixed in with the blue/rye/fescue, but stands out because it grows higher and has a darker green tint to it.

i thought quackgrass, but never know for sure that is why i like asking the vets on here.

5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Take a look at roots. Quackgrass has long rhizomes. White with sharp pointed ends.
    OtOH tall fescue has very prominent veins in the leaf blade.

6. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Is this a newly seeded lawn or area? I thought it looked like there was straw in the picture. If it is... my guess is that it is wheat from the straw. I had one of them this week and it took me a second to figure out!

7. mrkosar

from Ohio

no, the picture is taken on a property that i was estimating actually. the brown is part thatch, part dormant/underfertilized grass.

8. (wi) Roots

(wi) Roots LawnSite Member
    from 9

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic