Grassy Weed ID

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mrkosar, May 14, 2008.

1. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

What is it? Will Drive get rid of it?

2. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

On first glance it could be Johnsongrass--hard to see root and collar blade. Or maybe Dallisigrass, but Ohio may be too far north for it, then it could be something like Orchardgrass or just tall fescue. Need to see the seed pods and roots to be sure. Check the label for these four (4) and see.
  3. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Orchard grass.
  4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Could by timothy. Timothy looks like quackgrass, but has a tall ligule and no rhizomes.
  5. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Too early for Johnson Grass to be that size....

Looking at the clasping auricles, and the "clumpy" look....if it has a rhizome root structure it is probably Quack!
  6. lawnguy26

lawnguy26 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Ditto!! !

GREEN-UP LawnSite Member
    from sw ohio

if your area was once a corn field, in past 5 yrs, might be associated w the johnson weed. Although, looks like quack to me.
  8. rider

rider LawnSite Member
    from ohio

9. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm not seeing any clasping auricles there guys. It can't be Quack since it doesn't have them. I'm with Larry. I'm going vote for orchard grass. If it was Johnson grass, it would have that trademark white stripe running down the blades.
  10. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Look closely Victor....I think they are there. You can see them really well on the second stem on your right! With the "blur" in the pic it is hard to see....but I think they are definilty there. Good point on the prominant midrid on the J Grass!