Grassy Weed ID

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by gqnine44, Apr 25, 2013.

1. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

I was mowing a "rough" area yesterday and came across what I think is Cheatgrass. Going to try and talk customer into converting it to bermuda. What chems and timing would you use to knock this? It's a winter annual, right? Apps of simazine in fall & late winter maybe?

2. maynardGkeynes

maynardGkeynes LawnSite Senior Member

Roundup, wait, reseed. Unless you can convert the cheatgrass to bermuda with DNA splicing. :)

3. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

Not sure about the other posts but cheatgrass is invasive and anyone who is planting this stuff on highways is safe, but when it gets into the lawn.........it is trouble. keep from mowing these areas and keep the decks of the equipment well cleaned--(yeah right!) Fusilade 2 is good but you know what happens if this stuff is in bermuda?
    The problem is during seed head production..........these weed types will not take to the control.
    You may consult your ag. office for more specifics. I can do some research as I haven't had to deal with this weed yet. As I stated--it is all over the highway right of ways, over pass sections along with red clover. Idiots!! who sewed it!
    Good luck!!

4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

5. kbrashears

kbrashears LawnSite Senior Member

32 oz per acre glyphosate in early February.

6. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

7. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

Kiril,
    Good call!
    It is wise to stick to the State to which you reside and search for such local invasive species.
    Thanks for the post.

8. maynardGkeynes

maynardGkeynes LawnSite Senior Member

Totally agree, but are you saying too late now? If it's still growing, no reason Roundup (glyphosate) won't work that I know of. Of course it is not selective, so it will kill everything else too (although bermuda, maybe not -- pretty tough stuff.)

9. kbrashears

kbrashears LawnSite Senior Member

Man, that's too iffy to try on a residential turf.

I'd give Celsius a shot at the highest rate.

10. grassrat

grassrat LawnSite Member

That grass sounds like the Bermuda of the north! Can't use Celsius on a cool season lawn