grassy weed identification

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by WhiteRiverLawn, Jul 7, 2011.

1. WhiteRiverLawn

WhiteRiverLawn LawnSite Member
    from MO

can someone tell me what this grassy weed is?
    this is a new customer and sod was put down early spring.

photo 2.jpg

2. Looks like dallisgrass.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. WhiteRiverLawn

from MO

here's another shot.

photo 1.jpg

4. WhiteRiverLawn

from MO

hard to see, but i you zoom in on the picture, the blades are covered with tiny hairs. no seed heads. I get it mowed before it gets to that point.

5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

6. PR Fect

PR Fect LawnSite Bronze Member

Another northern boy vote for Crabgrass. Hairy Crabgrass. Real Common up here. Hit it with some Quinclorac?

7. WhiteRiverLawn

from MO

it isn't regular common crabgrass. I know that for sure. Could it be signalgrass?

And does Q4 have good results with grassy weeds? I haven't used it yet. Alittle pricey to not know if it will work with great results.

thanks
    jeff

8. shaun5

shaun5 LawnSite Member

I think it is Dallisgrass. The easiest way to tell crabgrass from dallisgrass is to let it go to seed (just not in the lawn)...

9. jiggz

jiggz LawnSite Senior Member
    from jerz

Dallisgrass

10. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

If that is Dallisgrass, then weeds must look different and have different texture in different parts of the country. The Dallisgrass in my area is a much darker green, grows in a clump form and has seed stalks that grow a inch or better a day. However, some of our Crabgrass has that color and texture so in my area I would vote Crabgrass although I have never been that great at identifing from photos on here, but deffenitly not Dallisgrass.