Grassy weed identification

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Kenny.jacobs, Jul 12, 2013.

1. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

Annual or perennial sedge grass. If you had stalks on it.......I would consider kyllinga.
    However, Certainty will get rid of it. Solitare and Celcius will do it also. They both are pricey!
    Sedgehammer and these products containing halosulfuron will suppress it.

The problem with sedges is---this weed develops a fibrous under ground network of rhizomes that form nuts on the end of nodes. These are like bulbs that develop into a new plant. You can spend many hours pulling these things up but if you leave a stem in the will resume growth. You have to get all the rhizomes and nutlets dead.
    These weeds just love moist areas with thinning turf. Sometimes it grows in thick turf but prefers thinning spots. Compaction and poor drainage is the usual culprit.
    You are going to spend somewhere around 100.00-200.00 for a container of the good stuff to do the trick. For is nothing as I need it to do the job and not piddle with the reappearances of stems.
  2. wildstarblazer

wildstarblazer LawnSite Senior Member

What about Dismiss/Sulfentrazone.
  3. Currinson

Currinson LawnSite Member
    from MA

Go with Sedge Hammer!
  4. Think Green

What would you advise this user as his adjuvant? I will not waste my money on sedgehammer thus only suppresses nutsedge. This person wants it gone.

Use Certainty with 80/20--L1700--or MSO.
  5. andersman02

andersman02 LawnSite Senior Member

We just started using Nufarm Prosedge. Expensive but hopefully gets the job done. Doing it at the price of an application. One time cost until we get rid of it.
  6. soswine

soswine LawnSite Member

Think green, have you used dismiss and if so how we're the results. Just picked some up for sedge in zoysia. Second question is would you use it in a bed that had juniper and pampas grass?
  7. Think Green

Sulfentrazone is one ingredient in my choice of product--Solitare.
    No----don't use either product in a bed with established and possible surface rooted plants.
    The label doesn't recommend it.

I treated zoysia and bermuda(419) last friday. Within 24 hours, I obtained chlorosis, spackling on nutsedges, dandelion, oxalis, horseweed, johnson grass, marestail,etc. This lawn was a newly sodded lawn of about a month--mowed 3 times thus far and full of junk.
  8. Think Green

Typically, my beds that has ornamental fountain grasses do not aquire nutsedges other than the outer edges. Depending on the type of juniper's there shouldn't be many weed pressures unless improperly growing. The only thing that is coming through my mound juniper's on one account is zoysia grasses.......that is it.
    I am hitting these beds twice a season with freehand G.