Grassy weed in Bluegrass

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by PR Fect, May 19, 2005.

1. PR Fect

PR Fect LawnSite Bronze Member

A little confirmation if you guys would. What do we have here?

IM000132.JPG

2. PR Fect

Its every where. My first time on lawn, do not know how long its been there.

IM000133.JPG

3. PR Fect

Leaves are rolled in the bud.

IM000138.JPG

4. PR Fect

Here is where I always get stuck. It think the Ligule is papery, it does have Auricles.

Grass weed cutJPG.JPG

5. PR Fect

I would say it has a broad collar.

IM000137.JPG

6. PR Fect

Most of the roots broke off when I tried to take a sample. Rhizomes are mixed in with the Bluegrass if there is any hard to see.

Roots cut weed.JPG

7. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

Tall fescue

8. PR Fect

Marko, I do not really see any hairs on the Auricles. And the lawns I have had tall fescue in it seems to clump more. Not so spread out. Thanks for the feed back. PR

9. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

10. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

at first glance, it appears to be tall fescue, though I understand what you are saying about the auricles. Many of the rough varieties will spread out just like that when mowed regularly at less than 2.5 inches. I've seen hundreds of old lawns that look just like that. TFC in the fall when the temps come back down and encourage the bluegrass to fill it in, then once more in the spring will remove that almost completely. Until then, get the height up on the mowings and let the taller bluegrass mask it.