Grassy Weed Pics... Advice Please.

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by sandman23, Jun 2, 2007.

1. sandman23

sandman23 LawnSite Member
    from GA

I think that this may be Orchard Grass left over from the original (builder) seed. I use a Lesco Fescue Seed and doubt that these weeds are from it. It is very unappealing and I don't see what I can do other than round it up and re-seed (in the fall of course). I hand pick at it but there is just way too much to think I can pick it all out. Last pic is in a different area of the same lawn.

This is 5 days of growth. As you can see, it grows fast and doesn't cut well. I use a Exmark Hp 23/46.

tmpphpEJOGyK.jpg

tmpphp6jkmBm.jpg

tmpphpuayvU7.jpg

tmpphpcyrznX.jpg

tmpphpXAx33Q.jpg

2. mkroher

mkroher LawnSite Senior Member

Looks like rye grass to me.

3. Picture Perfect Landscape

Picture Perfect Landscape LawnSite Member

I got the same ish going on in my back yard. That crap grows like an inch a day atleast!

4. mkroher

without a close-up of where the leaf meets the stalk, it's hard to say. Might be some guys on lawnsite that identify it better. But i still say rye grass.

round-up and reseed if it bothers you that much.

5. mike33087

mike33087 LawnSite Member

i call it crab grass, w/e it is really called it SUCKS! scotts step 2 usually gets rid of most of it

6. mkroher

uhh...that's FAR from crabgrass.

scotts step 2 is "weed & feed". It won't control any grassy weeds. Actually, I don't think it successfully controls any weeds.

7. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

By the looks of the pics, I'd say rye.

8. amlawn

amlawn LawnSite Member

sandman23, check out www.weedalert.com and compare the pics. is a great site for identification. jim

9. mkroher

10. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

I am pretty well positive that is Tall Fescue and only a non selective herbicide such as Glyphosate will solve your problem.http://www.msuturfweeds.net/details/_/tall_fescue_43/