Grassy weed treatment additional charge?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by CK82, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Hissing Cobra

Hissing Cobra LawnSite Senior Member

I use a rate of 5 lbs. per 1,000 sq. ft of 19-0-6 Dimension for each app. A pre-emergent combined with fertilizer is just about the same cost as regular fertilizer these days and in most instances, it's cheaper.

Round 1 - April 15th - 19-0-6 Dimension @ 5 lbs. per 1,000 sq. ft.

Round 2 - May 27th - 19-0-6 Dimension @ 5 lbs. per 1,000 sq. ft. If weedy at the time of application, switch to a liquid fertilizer and add liquid Dimension and a post emergent weed control to the mix and spray all 3 products out at once in a blanket application

Round 3 - July 8th - 18-0-8 Allectus (Fertilizer with both Grub and Insect control.

It works.

2. happyuser

happyuser LawnSite Member

I agree with you, except in my view barricade in these parts is a better product for rnd 1. I do one app of barricade and one of dimension. never have issues. Its most important to educate customers of the importance of good cultural practices. For those with thin lawns I up-sell them fall lime, aeration and seeding.

3. Hissing Cobra

I agree with you. Two applications of a pre-emergent control, whether they're both Dimension, Barricade, Halts, or a combination of two different kinds, will get the job done and reduce your service calls, your customer's complaints, and keep the money in your pocket, as you won't be driving around spraying apps for free.

Too many times, people do not read labels and therefore they do not understand how products work. They have no idea on the different rates that can be used, how long the product is expected to last, etc.... They don't realize until the problems start!

Good cultural practices and setting your customer's expectations to be realistic is where it's at. If someone doesn't have irrigation, their lawn will not look good in the middle of the summer - it doesn't matter what you put on it!

4. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm sure it works for you but 5 lbs. of 19-0-6 Dimension tells me nothing. I need to know how much Dimension.

5. Hissing Cobra

It's Dimension 19-0-6 .10% Dimension. Sorry about the lack of information.

6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

That would be about .22 lbs per acre of active dithiopyr. (Dimension.)
    If applied twice then about .44 active chemistry per acre per year.
    Unless, you plan to apply more for poa annua control in fall.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  7. Hissing Cobra

Correct. None applied in the fall.

8. TurfWerks

TurfWerks LawnSite Senior Member

I do 2 applications or Generic barricade in the spring usually feb and april. It seems to hold real well at a .5 lbs per acre on each application.. Of course im in Arkansas.

I am a firm believer in charging for what you do for your customers. If its a crabgrass problem and they started late charge them.... If you applied a pre emergent and it broke down then in my opinion cleaning up the crabgrass should be free.. If its other grassy weeds like Dallis grass charge them if you have to make a special trip.. I usually pop the clumps with round up in my Bermuda lawns if its just a few spots on regular applications though..

9. CK82

CK82 LawnSite Member

Thanks fellas!