Grassy Weeds?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lawnguy26, Oct 21, 2004.

1. lawnguy26

lawnguy26 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

My nieghbor installed a Floratam lawn this spring. It is now being taking over with Crabgrass, Alexandergrass, Crowsfeet and a little Bermuda. There is no selective chemical control for these grasses. (Well Asulox for Crabgrass but no longer legal on residential). He told her not to pull them because in the process she would cause seeds to spread throughout her lawn. Is there any truth to this?

2. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes , of course pull them.
    treat with 2 kinds of preemergents at same time .

3. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Lawn guy

Who is He??

Yes there are select herbicides to control all but Bermuda grass in St Augustine. The Guy that comes up with a Bermuda grass control in St Augustine will make a fortune.

Weed Master is right about Pre-emerge. Crab Grass seeds will stay viable in the soil for 15 years. However I prefer to Herbicide weeds rather than pull them. Bermuda Can be suppressed by shade screen but that is rather a expensive way to go about things.

4. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

Also , you could , as Ric says , spray with glyfos and reseed .
    Don't pre emerge the seeded areas

Bill W.

5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Bill

St Augustine does grow from seeds. Sprigs, plugs or sod only. While all these weeds take several application of herbicide all but Bermuda can be selectively controlled.

BTW St Augustine might grow in your area but requires so much water it is not economical for your area.

6. lawnguy26

from Florida

Post-emergent selective control for Alexandergrass and Crows Foot Grass in St. Augustine?? I'm curious!. What's the product?

7. lawnguy26

from Florida

Sorry, guess I got ahead of myself. "He" is her LCO.