Grates

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by turner_landscaping, Mar 30, 2011.

1. turner_landscaping

turner_landscaping LawnSite Member

I just got our grating in for our pondless features that I use instead of matrix bloxs and some of you were interested in it. Here are some pics of what I got in 5' circles and 3x8 sheets that I can cut down. Sorry I didnt have large boulder on hand to show the strength of them so I figured a 4000 pound skid steer should work!:weightlifter: I dont think the bloxs would hold that up!:laugh:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

2. tadpole

tadpole LawnSite Bronze Member

They're definitely strong enough!

With a stack that size, looks like you are planning on a good year!

3. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

STL Ponds and Waterfalls LawnSite Bronze Member

How are you accessing your pump vault without a tone of gravel falling into the pit?

4. turner_landscaping

I actually cut a trap door into the grates for access.. I generally cover that with a large stone and place gravel around it I don't use a pump vault generally with this setup cause its a open system below the grates expect with wat cinder block I use. This system allows even more water volume in the pits. Now on a different setup with a pump vault I generaly will cut a section on the outside of the pit where the grating doesn't cover it but is still part of the pit and again cover it with a piece slat or rock.. Also if I was to use a smaller gravel I actually will place a piece of heavy duty screen that u can grab at lowes or hdepot over the grate to prevent stone from falling in.. However I use larger cobble so its not a concern..
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. turner_landscaping

Pm me and ill look for my sketch up for my pit designs and send it you
    Posted via Mobile Device