Gravel and dirt on lawn...what to do?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tiedeman, Mar 27, 2005.

1. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

ok guys/girls, what works the best to get gravel/dirt out of the lawn due to snow plows?

Usually in the past I have always just used a garden rake and scoop shovel. But I want something faster and less back breaking this year. What would you guys recommend to use? Would a power sweeper work good?

2. Kaskov

Kaskov LawnSite Member

What about just blowing it out of the lawn w/ a backpack blower?

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

nope, too heavy. I am talking about piles or even spread out, in the lawn pushed up from gravel driveways from snow plows.

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

The absolute best thing you can use for this is a powersweep attachment that goes on the end of a trimmer setup - the ines that have the rubber paddles on the drum. I guarantee you that you will find nothing better.

5. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

Hire a helper and make him do it.

6. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Take a gravel rake for the heavy stuff, and then a power broom, should clean-up quickly.

7. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I'm with Joe on this one, Stihl power broom with the rubber paddles makes the job fast and remove all the stone and clumps of sod. If threre are any big pieces of sod you may have to pick those up by hand.

8. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 LawnSite Senior Member

ya, just use a power broom, that'll get the job done fine.

9. Shawns Lawns

Shawns Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

I think the power broom from Echo works excellent, i use mine with the trottle trigger facing the sky so instead of pushing the unit on the grass i am pulling it towards me alot less damage to the grass this way. I also used the paddles but it does not lift up the grass like the bristles do. :waving:

10. lpwhandyman

lpwhandyman LawnSite Member

Even better yet, if it was done by the borough or the state, call them. I watched them fix a few miles of it the other day.