Gravel at my shop?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by RedWingsDet, Jul 30, 2006.

1. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

There are a bunch of smart fellers on here, so im sure you guys can steer me in the correct direction.

Here is my delima: At my shop, I have about a 50x60ft lot where I park equipment, it is currently all grass. At one point in time it was gravel, but it has been negolected for quite some time. I want to regravel it, get rid of any drainage issues (install french drains maybe).

I would like to know what should I do and how?

Im guessing prolly excavate the grass and old gravel out. Level the dirt, possibly lay some kind of weedbarrier or geogrid down, and then lay either crushed concrete or some kind of stone dust (im not sure what to do there) and then level and compact.

Thanks for all the help guys, and here is a picture of what we are dealing with.

DSCN0621.JPG

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I would take out about 6", lay a seperation fabric that lets water drain, and bring in 3" of 1 1/4" with fines and compact, and then bring in 3" of 3/4" with fines and roll.

3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Hard to tell by the pic, BUT it might be as easy as spraying with sterilant and a gylsophate when all is killed off bucket the stone into a pile and then redistribute over site. The rain will clean the stone and it could look like new.

4. RedWingsDet

from Detroit

Thanks guys.

Olderthandirt: I rather just take out the 6" and redo it, im sure it'll take a while to kill it all off since its not just weeds here and there, its like full grass execpt in the middle when I pull the truck and trailer out everyday.

Dirty Water: thanks, sounds like a plan, however what is Fine?

5. tylermckee

tylermckee LawnSite Member
    from wa

fines pretty much means dust. around here we just call it like a 1 1/4 minus, 5/8 minus, etc, meaning crushed stone ranging from whatever size down to dust. once compacted it sets up like concrete.

6. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Actually it would take only 24-48 hrs to kill it all. When your talking about excavating 6" of stone and filling it with fines nd compacting it you will be close to the cost of concrete. What I suggested would cost approx. $100 and time equipment time. Always try the easiest and cheapest way first unless your positive it wont work

7. tylermckee

tylermckee LawnSite Member
    from wa

And not to mention youre going to have to rent a machine for a day, if the estimate the area to be 40x40, and you would be hauling out 30 yards of material, so you will have to pay for trucking out of there. Pay for some fabric to cover the area before you spread the rock, pay to rent a compactor, it will add up quick.

8. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

i dunno if you guys have asphalt roads out there but at my old shop they were milling/paving a highway about a mile away, went to talk to the contractor and they brought me as many loads of millings as i wanted for free, had an almost instant parking lots..

9. RedWingsDet

from Detroit

Thanks again guys. We do ashphault roads so that is an idea.

Olderthandirt, your right, I will try that, if that doesnt work, I will make a decision.

10. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

Im not one to repeat a post. Dirty water;s post seems the best. Depending on your base would change my opinion on the fabric cloth. The kind you use for roads is very expensive and you will have to buy a whole roll of it. If it is clay i would defenity use it. If you have a hard drinage base like shale or slate i would not waste the money. Grass will grow real nice on gravel limestone if it is not used much. I have a hunting cabin with a good base since i dont go around much i have nice looking grass growing in my drive way. Of course it not rooted real well but looks like crap in a driveway. Good luck.
    Mike