Gravel drive questions

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Mr.Ziffel, Oct 16, 2000.

1. Mr.Ziffel

Mr.Ziffel LawnSite Senior Member

Do any of you have suggestions as to the best way to separate or define gravel drive from lawn areas? We're talking thousands of feet here so railroad ties, etc are out. I've changed some lawn area shapes to make them easier to mow by killing with Roundup and am ready to add gravel. I've always used 5/8"minus as a top dressing, but saw a place with 3/4"chips that I liked. What do you think of using it--I like the crunching sound the chips make, but they don't pack like the 5/8. Thanks for any suggestions. Will M.

2. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

gravel!! YUCKOOO!!!!!!!!! i understand ur situation. on the farm have same problem, have been thinking of ways to solve it. i agree no railroad ties. somehting that will do the job, cheap, and if run over is not a total loose nor will be harsh on car and budget.one idea i have thought is that black cheap plastic border, will keep it in place, cheap, and easy to replace, and bury it a little and its not to noticible, can ride over it, etc.

3. PRapoza451

PRapoza451 LawnSite Member

You might want to look at steel edging. It goes in relatively fast and it's about $2.38 per linear foot for materials in my area (NE). That's for 4" x 3/16".

4. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

What about bark or mulch? Really easy to deal with if you don't have dogs diggin' in it or throwing it all over the lawn. Border edging you might try but that stuf is like 40 cents a foot. You'd be out quite a bit for that and if you ran it over, its gone for good. Steel edging or plastic would work.

5. pete

pete LawnSite Member

What about getting poured concrete edgeing. There are machines in the back of grounds maintenance that do it. Mabey some one has on in your area. You may have better luck with someone that has a slipform curbing machine, check with someone that does sitework or site concrete. Dont know if either of these two will be affordable, i suspect they might be expensive but it might be what your looking for.

6. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

I think the metal edging would probably be the best way to go. It may be a little pricy now, but the time it will save in the long run will be well worth it. Gravel drives are just sloppy in general, and there just is not a whole lot to do about it.

steveair