gravel drive

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by chefdrp, Mar 27, 2005.

1. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

I never claimed I was good in math, Which I'm not. so you probly got it right.
    like I said 2 yds just seemed low to me for a area that size.

2. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

Ya... well im still in school, im 17. Im pretty good in math, Im about 95% sure its L'xW'xH / 9

so like I said before, with the dimensions given. 12x20x1/6= 40, 40/9 = 4.5 cubic yards.

But im not 100% sure so if I were you, ask a mathematician.

3. Residential Recreation

Residential Recreation LawnSite Member

where i am from gravel is not measured by the yard here it is measured by the ton. to estimate the tonage you need this formula.
    sand gravel topsoil. 2" layer.surface area sqft divided by 100. i tough i read that you have 200sq then you will need 2 tons this will not fit in the back of your pickup. if you have a big pickup you might be able to get a ton and a half at the most of gravel. you also want to compact this so it doesnt rut. add another 20% for compaction now you are looking at 2.4 tons. I would recommend doing a 3-4 inch layer with fabric underneeth it will be cheaper than using round up every summer for the rest of your life and you wont loose any compaction from weeds coming through.

I hope i was of some help ;)

4. vadeere

vadeere LawnSite Member

I'm pretty sure you need to divide by 27. Imagine a 3 x 3 x 3 foot box, how many 1 x 1 x 1 foot boxes could fit in there. Hope this helps.

5. Residential Recreation

that is correct but who buys gravel sand any type of loose packed material by the yard. you dont go to the store and buy cereal by the yard you buy this by weight

6. vadeere

vadeere LawnSite Member

R R, you are correct, I was trying to clear up the cubic volume issue. No hard feelings. :D

7. Residential Recreation

8. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 LawnSite Senior Member

so how deep do u plan on putting the gravel?

9. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I still say you will need at least 5 tons of fines compacted and then topped with 57s, and the formula I used was that I bought over 500 tons of stone about 20 yrs ago and been buying it and using it for another 20 yrs. May not be the most scientific approach to figure the amount but I'm usually close enough on drives and patios that I don't have any problems using what I got or ordered and I don't have to make a second trip for added stone. 5 tons of stone don't go far, especially when compacted but as I said earlier it will almost be as hard as concrete afters its been wet and tamped :p

10. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

i would think you would want more than a 2" base