Gravel driveway advice plz.

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Vikings, Apr 20, 2007.

1. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

Have no idea if this is the right forum..

I expanded my parking lot onto a grassy area, broke down the fence blah blah.

It's turning into mud, I know I need to dump some gravel there but I was wondering about coarseness. My idea is (I have no knowledge in this area) that I would put down coarse gravel, pack it down by hand a bit then spread some finer gravel.

Is this a decent plan? I now have 30 ft by about 20ft to park, 2/3 already has gravel though its pretty crappy looking and 1/3 is mud/grass.
  2. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Scrape up and remove the brown mud because its going to bleed through the good gravel. Once you get the muck cleaned up use some good 3/4 inch road base pack that down and that should be good enough for a parking lot.
  3. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

3/4inch, thank you.
  4. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

We use 3/4 crush and run on our drive ways. Works dandy.

5. 6DoubleDuece

6DoubleDuece LawnSite Member

Do you guys think a vibrating plate compacter is enough for that kind of job or do you need somthing bigger?

6. bishoplandscape

bishoplandscape LawnSite Member

If its real bad you should put some 1x3 crushed concrete then top with a 21AA would give you the best out come and would never be mud again. As for compacting i wouldn't bother just drive over it a little. :weightlifter:
  7. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

I disagree with the 3/4 base. It is correct to remove the mud as it will "pump" through the base.
    I would suggest taking a close look at why it is muddy. If the dirt is deep, then you may need to add rock or at the very least a number 2 grade (inch and 3/4 min or pit run) to stabilize the area. 3/4 is great for finish work but it is much too fine to stabilize a mud hole or deep dirt though it will compact well. Use a vibratory roller for sure to finish off. If the base is slightly damp from the pit, it will pack in well with the roller. As it dries, any minute spaces left after compaction will contract and it will be a very hard surface.
  8. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Mud can come from the area having grass over it you remove the grass and topsoil the mud is usually gone. From what the first post meantion the person was extending a parking area.
  9. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

I use the 3/4" not cleaned rock. Packs down like concrete almost with the sand in it, but still lets water through so it doesn't stand unless you have a really low spot.
  10. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I would agree with yellow dog. I use large pit run type rock (typically 6-8" minus) as the base for the drive and top with 3/4 roadbase which packs tight and looks good. If pumping may be a problem you can remove excess material lay in petramat (similar to weed fabric only heavier) then the pitrun and then the 3/4. I would compact it with a small roller. It will then get uniform compaction and give the best finished product.