1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Gravel driveway

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Branchland, Jul 26, 2006.

1. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

This is at my place. I'm putting in a new driveway. The grading has already been done, and then it rained, alot. Made a muddy mess. I put gravel over it a couple of days later. It's going to be a gravel driveway. Well now when I pull the truck and trailer on it it wants to sink in. How can I fix this?
  2. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

bigger rock...
  3. Palmer'sLS

Palmer'sLS LawnSite Senior Member

should start with a good base=#3's.....then but #21B's on top of that...then considering you (assume) drive your work trucks everyday...put # 5's on top of that...thats my opinion....
  4. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

like they said............bigger stone
  5. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Now that you have rocked it as others have said bigger stone to smaller. I used a geo textile fabric on roadbed to my shop prior to gravel. Everything stays put where its at, few to no weeds, less to re rock later.
  6. tylermckee

tylermckee LawnSite Member
    from wa

put down some road building fabric, then something like some shale or 4-6" rock walk it down with a machine a few times, maybe get a loaded dump truck to drive up and down it about 30 times, then cap it with 5/8" and call it a day