1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Gravel driveway.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chefdrp, Sep 17, 2003.

1. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a customer that has a gravel drive that is like 4000 sq/ft . There are alot of weed grown in them. He wants them killed. What is the best way and how much of the stuff might i need. What would you charge to do this? They will be putting new gravel down later.
  2. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

use gas and then light it.
  3. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

Just spray it with Round-Up. If he is putting down new gravel anyways, just take your trimmer and hack down anything that is really sticking up, besides that you shouldn't have to do anything.
  4. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

chef, are you licensed for doing this type work?
    Being as it is this late in the season, and the fact that new gravel is planned, why not just use trimmer as best as possible for now. Just be very careful what direction your trimming in, make sure exit path isn't pointed at something brealable, or people.
  5. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

I use the Lesco three-way broad leaf herbicide & it works great for gravel drives and rock gardens/borders. If I spray 3.5 gallons (one back pack sprayer full) = $40 for about 25-30 min. of work. Of course, be very careful if you plan on line trimming over it especially if it's pea gravel. On one particularly bad property I had, I line trimmed the weeds down & then sprayed. This was over large gravel (palm sized). Worked great. Then I sprayed it again 2 weeks later to get straglers. Cleaned it right up. The homeowners went out a week after the 2nd app. & pulled up dead roots. This was their alternative to doing a re-install of the rock beds (old, rocks a little thin).

Under the "organic forum" I saw some talk of using vinegar. Very interesting. Worth reading.
  6. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

thanx guys love the help you all give.
  7. GLAN

GLAN Banned

If your going to spray the gravel with what ever.

Might want to add Surflan to your mix. Surflan is orange in color, more importantly it is a pre-emergent. Or any other liquid or wetable powder pre-emergent.
  8. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

Just for my interest, do you lot need a license to spray Round-Up? Over here, anyone can get it everywhere, even the food supermarkets and hardware stores. Just interested is all!
  9. drobson

drobson LawnSite Member

Mick you can get roundup here anywhere too, but to be paid to apply it you need a license. Homeowners can use it on their own property without one.
  10. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

same in michigan,even to use preen we have to be certified to be payed to do this..