1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Gravel fill behind SRW.

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by tamo, Jan 24, 2011.

1. tamo

tamo LawnSite Member

I've seen people use both 3/4 minus and clean gravel without fines as fill behind retaining walls.

What is the best material to use? I'd think the clean gravel for better drainage, but I've seen and heard othewise.

2. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

STL Ponds and Waterfalls LawnSite Bronze Member

We alway's use clean.
  3. Bru75

Bru75 LawnSite Senior Member

Definitely clean, you don't want it to hold water.
  4. BrendonTW

BrendonTW LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Oklahoma City

Clean. The NDS representative came and spoke in a class I was in a few weeks ago and said to use river rock due to the much bigger voids, cleanliness, and resistance to absorb water. I think that's ideal, but probably not economical.
  5. NewHorizon's Land

NewHorizon's Land LawnSite Senior Member

Your retaining walls should be engineered. The engineer will tell you what material to use. Clean is always the best bet.
  6. jonesy5149

jonesy5149 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

Well we do 3/4 washed crushed rock and with 150 fabric and then 500x on the top and 6'' to 12'' of gravel. compacted about 75% proctor then mulch or loam.
  7. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

75% proctor? How did you test that?

3/4 dropped in a hole is already 90% without running the compactor on it.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Patl-scape, about a month ago I typed the same thing and some guru here told me i wrong!

9. jonesy5149

from Maine

the 3/4 rock is 90% but the 6 to 8 inchs of grave i rap at the top befor the loam or mulch i just get the proctor to 70% about 4 passes with the 7500 bowmag. we test with a rod and a .5 lbs of weight and it will sink about 1/4 passed the line. we had are sand and gravel tested last year to get a device to measure it. the sand pit we bought has lots of great products in it.
  10. jonesy5149

from Maine

How are you guys doing for the compaction rate?? Tool or guess ??