1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

gravel for lot

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by germann, Feb 9, 2004.

1. germann

germann LawnSite Senior Member

Need to gravel an area in front of the run in shed where we will be backing our trailer in every night. It is 30by50? How thick, how to apply, etc. The soil has been driven on and part of it was graveled in years past. I would pave it, but we do not own the property. Just trying to keep the mud down and the equip. clean.
  2. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

2" deep-compacted. Apply by spreading.
  3. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Use a 3/4" crusher run stone as well.It will compact down nicely..
  4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I would apply crete. Then all you have to do is drive over it and it will compact itself in no time.
  5. DKinWA

DKinWA LawnSite Member

Around here, two inches isn't much from a long term maintenance perspective. Within 2 hours drive of my home, we get anywhere from 40-120 inches of rain a year. In other words, we've got a lot of soft ground and mud :) I'm guessing where you're at, that isn't a problem.

Before spreading the gravel, it's a good idea to get rid of any vegetation and do any grading necessary to keep water away from the building. Once that's done, I'd order your gravel and ask that the driver dump spread it as best they can. Most drivers that have been at it a little while can usually spread it out enough that a little raking is all that's needed to finish up.

If you have any plans of regrading it (to remove vegetation or holes) down the road, I'd suggest a minimum of 4" and better yet would be 6". This is what I recommend around here so that it can be regraded later as holes and ruts develop. Two inches of gravel is hard to regrade without picking up a lot of the underlying material and actually making a muddy mess. On a 30x50 foot area, you're looking at approximately 10 yrds of gravel for every two inches of depth. Once you've got the rock down, it doesn't hurt to run a plate compactor over it to firm things up a bit. One other thought. If you ever intend to store things like pallets of fertilizer or ?, the gravel will need to support a heavy truck and possibly a forklift to move the material. If you've ever gotten a forklift stuck in a driveway, you come to appreciate the extra gravel :eek: .