Gravel in Grass from snow plow

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by zurfsturfcare, Apr 14, 2008.

1. zurfsturfcare

zurfsturfcare LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys, got a lot of grave in lawn from plowing, does anyone know any tricks to getting it out efficiently other than a rake? thanks

2. bibbo

bibbo LawnSite Member

ive been told a power broom works good, havent tryed one myself yet...

3. bock

bock LawnSite Member

Bust your back pack blower out and go to town.

4. Ford850

Ford850 LawnSite Member

Large blower works great. If you keep the blower at a steep angle, maybe 45 degrees, it will pop out the gravel that has settled into the grass or soil. Then drop the angle back so it has more "push" to move it back to the berm. Get on it quick before the grass grows over it.
    Oh, and use the flat nozzle to get more force.

5. K/B

K/B LawnSite Senior Member

I've used a Shindaiwa Power Broom, works great.

6. ribbie78

ribbie78 LawnSite Member

Stihl power broom makes this a FAST job. I have a church account that has about 500' driveway (all stone) and what used to take several hours of raking for 2 guys took about 20 minutes by myself with this last week. I was hesitant because of the $300 price tag but it paid for itself in that one job for saving my back.
    [​IMG]
    ...it also does an amazing job of hurling the stones back into the driveway and not leaving anything behind.

7. zurfsturfcare

zurfsturfcare LawnSite Senior Member

thanks guys, very good ideas, im gonna try the backpack blower for now but i may invest in the broom sometime, thanks again

8. M & MD Lawn

M & MD Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I agree, blower should work

9. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

I just momentarily lower my deck 1/2 Inch, throtle back to idle, point the discharge to the road, and (blade-mow) the rock, and throw most of it back where it belongs. At idle rpm's, the blades hold up well, and problem is solved.

10. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

If you don't want to buy a power broom, check around at the local rental places.

Without a doubt the best piece of equipment for the job.