1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Gravel Parking Area

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by mike33087, Apr 20, 2008.

1. mike33087

mike33087 LawnSite Member

I am going to install a gravel parking area at my shop to put the trucks and trailers on to keep them out of the mud when it rains.

What I was wondering was, Do I need to create a base out of (lint pack) or crushed stone first and tamp in down level? Or can I just put in a couple yards of gravel 4 - 6 inches thick? I really want this to be a small quick job as Im not making money off it, just trying to keep the trucks cleaner! Thanks in advance guys and girls

2. Isobel

Isobel LawnSite Senior Member

Don't worry about a base layer, just lay the gravel down. You may have to refresh it every year or few years, but its nothing major.

I've found 3/4" works nicely if you plan on walking on it alot, it packs down relatively smooth pretty well.

3. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

The easiest fix in the long run is to do the job properaly the first time. If you have a "mud" problem now, you need to remove the mud material and put in a base. I use a "road base " material that consists of 3/4" traprock and the dust and excess material that comes off the crusher. Put it down in 3-4" layers and let it pack down before adding more. When its done right, its almost like blacktop.

4. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE Ohio

I agree use a road base and its not bad price either..

Dont use a round stone like 57's cause it dosent pack.

Also We put down Geo Grid on new drives