1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Gravel Removal

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by ecoYota, Mar 11, 2008.

1. ecoYota

ecoYota LawnSite Member

Can someone please offer some help regarding removing gravel? I'm curious to know how I would price a job like this & if I should hire some guys to remove the rock w/a bobcat, or shovel it out in to my truck? What do I do w/the rock?

I don't know the exact measurements of the area but I would guess around 30x30' ...The rock is mostly standard round grey gravel w/small patches of red lava rock. There are a couple of cactus plants & weeds that need to be removed as well. Also, I'd say the gravel is anywhere from 3"-4" deep.

That's the first part of the job request.

The second requires filling the area w/either crusher fines or a 3/4" santa fe brown type gravel.

I am most concerned at this point with putting together an estimate for just the removal. Also, if you recommend hiring a bobcat service, any idea on what I might be looking to pay for this?

Thanks so much!
  2. dwayne.whaley

dwayne.whaley LawnSite Member

Here in NC, we can rent a bobcat for about $225 a day.
    So, I would get it up with it in about 4 hrs or less.
    If you have a tandem trailer to dump it into for removal.
    Pay operator $25 hrs and labor $15 hrs plus add the other little things in.
  3. pj550v12

pj550v12 LawnSite Senior Member

Thats A LOT of rock. I removed about 10'x5' by hand and wished I had a bobcat every second . . .
  4. dwayne.whaley

dwayne.whaley LawnSite Member

I call a Bobcat a "Mull" and it's the best thing that has very been built.
    I worked a mull back on the younger days and a bobcat works just as hard.
    I don't do any jobs with out one.
  5. Mark Bogart

Mark Bogart LawnSite Member

Skid Steer services in Albuquerque will run you from $60-$100 dollars an hour. You can rent a skid steer for $100 to $200 a day depending on what size you get. One of your local gravel yards may take the gravel off your hands!
  6. ecoYota

ecoYota LawnSite Member

Fantastic...thank you for the informative/speedy replies. I may be off a bit on the size of the area, but yeah, it's definitely a lot of rock. Basically just one large square of it.

The good thing is that it's right off the street so the rock won't have to be moved too far.

One quick question, are these skid steer, mull thing a muhjiggers easy to operate? I was told once that they're easy to flip? They intimidate me a bit.

Thanks again for the help!
  7. pj550v12

pj550v12 LawnSite Senior Member

On a hill maybe they are . . . not for the average job though, especially if you rent a mini skid, those are almost imposible to flip.

STRINGALATION LawnSite Senior Member

i have a guy iam comfortable with who on a job like this i would have him work/sub for me . he has dump truck and cats. remember as a contractor sometimes you make a lot less money but all you have to do is supervise. just something to consider. i plan on renting a skid-steer this year and playing in my back yard a little

9. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

that is for sure! i cannot imagine doing a 30X30 area by hand, that would be absurd. look into renting a smaller machine like a bobcat mt55 or similar. how are you unloading the material after it is in your truck?
  10. ecoYota

ecoYota LawnSite Member

Most likely I'm going to sub the job out. I found a local guy that has the equipment + he can do it cheaper than most because his friend allows him to dump all the fill he needs to on his property in town. I'm pretty sure this guy has a dump truck.

Yeah, I cannot imagine shoveling the stuff and I'm not ready to hop in to the fun world of skids just yet. I'll have fun watching & learning though. I'll probably sub the entire job, including filling the spot w/crusher fines after, but I figure I'll still make some decent $ & I'm feeling confident the job will be well done-- most important right?!

For future jobs like this or similar, that I may want to take on myself, i'll definitely keep in mind the mini skid & won't work it anywhere near a hill!

muchas gracias & much peace + good business I bid to you all