Gravel Road Maintenance

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by cddva, Mar 5, 2007.

1. cddva

cddva LawnSite Member

Looking for your expert opinions/advice. I have at my disposal an ASV RC50 and Kubota L39. Both have a 4n1 bucket. I also have a MX6 Harley Rake. I know the best time to grade the road and remove the pot holes is after a good rain. Not sure I really want to use the Harley for the grading aspect (seems like it is hard on it based on previous pothole work). Was considering purchasing the grader box from Skid Steer Solutions (could be used on quick attach loader of either machine) or buying a 3 pt. box grader for the L39. Neither of these allow angling for moving material towards the crown. Also considering the Quick Attach 6-Way Angle Blade with Wheel Kit to be used for dirt grading jobs as well (very pricey). What are your recommendations, short of renting a bulldozer, as some of you favor.:)
  2. tnmtn

tnmtn LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE Tn.

the 6 way blade is tempting but it would take a while to get good with it. easy solution is a box blade with gauge wheels. they are made for this and very inexpensive.
    good luck
  3. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

Get the Asv land leveler attachment. It uses 2 blades oriented horizontally, about 2 feet apart. I have one on my 30, and use it for roadgrading and other work. Harley works better after the road has been loosened with the leveler.
  4. cddva

cddva LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply's. I had a box blade on a tractor before and I'll admit I wasn't very skilled at making "the grade" with it. I'm sure that's why you suggest the gauge wheels for it. I would prefer to get an attachment that could be used on both machines (with no additional attachments). The land leveler may be the way to go, for me. Quick-Attach has one with scarifier teeth that would be useful for other jobs I do. Thanks again.