1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Gravely 148M or 48Z

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dmanb2b, Jun 10, 2008.

1. dmanb2b

dmanb2b LawnSite Member

Gravely users...need your help and opinions

Looking for a 48" ztr (home use) and wondering if I am better off with the 148M or 48Z

If I go with the 148M do I get the version with the larger air filter and 21 kawi or will the standard air filter model with a 19 kawi suffice? I ask this given I would like to mulch my leaves in the fall (north east). Also the model with the 21 kawi has 12 cc hydros vs. 10cc on the 19 kawi.

Or....is the 48z enough for what I'm looking to acomplish? 1acre of grass, 15 or so 80ft maple trees

Thanks...also if you have recently purchased either of these models, could you let me know where and price paid? My local dealer quoted $7,700+tax for a 148M KDZ....yet Speedway will ship the same mower to my house for $6,999 no tax

Thanks guys...appreciate your help

FYI...current set-up

JD LX280AWS with powerflo bagger...I'm tired of bagging and would like to cut my mow time in half, if possible?
  2. dmanb2b

dmanb2b LawnSite Member

also if anyone has any user feed back on these machines, I would appreciate that as well...thx
  3. dmanb2b

dmanb2b LawnSite Member

anyone? thank you!
  4. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

We dont mulch with our machines so I cant sit here and say which engine would be best for you. The more power the better but being for home use I dont know if you will really need the extra power.

Anyway with that aside I will flat out tell you your dealer wants way to much for that machine. We paid $6800 for our 160Z with 25hp Kohler and another member here drove a couple hours down here to my dealer and bought himself a 152 XDZ because my dealer was almost $2000 cheaper than his dealer. I would say the speedway price is more reasonable.

The gravely machines are very nice machines and the X-Factor deck cuts great. You really cant go wrong with gravely.
  5. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I don't have either model and have never run one. I do however have the 148M XDZ.

Looking at the specs, I would think it would come down to price. Both models have similar specs such as the 19hp Kawasaki and 125 ft.lb clutch. They also have 18,000 fpm blade tip speed which is great compared to a typical homeowner model.

The deck is 7 gauge versus 10 gauge. Fuel capacity is 7 gallon versus 10 gallon. These are features that I don't think are too great a concern for homeowner use.

Ground speed is 10 mph versus 8 mph. Tire size is smaller on the 48Z as well. This is where the 148M is preferable.

Again, I say it all comes down to money. If this is the mower you feel you want to keep for many years to come, get the 148M if you can swing it. They're both made to last a very long time for homeowner use so go ahead and get the better of the two. You'll be less likely to regret anything a year or two from now. :)
  6. dmanb2b

dmanb2b LawnSite Member

Thank you Prostreet!

Lawspecialties...sorry I mistyped,...it was in fact the 148M XDZ I was most interested in. If you don;t mind me asking, how much were you able to pick it up for? Also, do you mulch with the 48" deck?

Thanks guys...appreciate the help here...if you ever need accounting advice, feel free to PM me.