Gravely 150 blade change?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by scout39, Aug 1, 2005.

1. scout39

scout39 LawnSite Member

Just got a used 150 with the 50" stamped deck. Don't have a manual so what's the best way to change the blades. Do I need to put a wrench on the top of the spindles as well as the blade nut or can I just block the blade with a 2x4" scrap and loosen the lower nut? This is for home use so I won't be doing it too often so I'd like not to invest in an air wrench. I figure you guys who are doing it every day must have a favorite (and effective) method. Thanks...

2. Redneckn

Redneckn LawnSite Senior Member

impact wrench. if you dont have one. cant get that and a compressor. then go and get an electric impact. that is THE easiest way to get those off. otherwise, something to hold the pulley and a good 6pt socket.

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

A 2x4 works just fine, But the blades should be torqued to 100 ft.lbs. unless they have changed it since we stopped selling them some years back.

BTW; A wrench on the top nut may just loosen it also, Then it will need re-torqued.

4. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Go to a place where they do tires. Have them take them off with the air gun. Then have them put on a new set of blades with the air gun.

Now go and get yourself a impact gun (electric or air) and you can do it yourself with the money you made with the weeks profits before you need to sharpen again

John

5008888888888888888.jpg

5. Redneckn

Redneckn LawnSite Senior Member

John. I didnt even consider that. Guess that goes to show that I don't cut yards for a living. I just fix 'em.

6. scout39

scout39 LawnSite Member

Just got back from the HD - I need to check my compressor to see if it delivers enough CFM for one of the cheap Campbell Hausfeld wrenches. If so, I'll get it - about $40 vs $150 for the electrics. Thanks for your help, guys!

7. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Great! Good luck.
    John

8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I remove a lot of blades each week and we simply use two socket wrenches that have 15" handles. Never have any problem getting off, never had any come loose. My units are Scags and Snappers, don't know if that makes a difference. On these units you can hold both wrench at the same time and turn away. I also but antiseize(sp?) on the nuts.