Gravely 152 and 252

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ryan Lightning, Mar 17, 2005.

1. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

Can anyone tell me what kind of trim edge the 152 has? I looked at a 252 and seemed it didnt have any trim edge, and the way I have my accounts set up I really have to have some trim edge.

2. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

No one knows anything about these mowers? Im leaning towards a super mini Z now, since it has 6" of trim, a smaller frame, and 25hp.

3. Axl

Axl LawnSite Member

I have no experience with the gravely othe than their walk behinds which are great. I do know someone who runs the Super Mini Z and he loves it. The only problem he had was that the opening in the deck was very small causing clumping. He simply cut it out larger and noticed a huge improvement, but I believe that is supposed to change for 05. Dont quote me though

4. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

i don't know about the 252 but i've got a 260z and i think its got a 2-4" trim side. its not as much as some other machines, but it suites me well.

5. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I looked at a Gravely 152Z yesterday at the showroom. I was looking for a 148Z, but they had none. The 152Z served as a model (same traction unit as for the 48 and 60" models). I had the same question as you for the 148Z, so I took my tape measure to the 152Z.

From my recollection, the 152 had about 5 1/2" on either side. I reviewed the matter with the salesperson, thinking that a 148Z should have about 3 1/2" trim, and he agreed. He showed me a 148Z in the crate to confirm, and despite the maze of wood and plastic of the crate, I believe 3-3 1/2" is right for a 148Z. Therefore, the 152Z must be as I stated above.

Yesterday was the first time I had a close look at Gravely, and I was impressed. But, others in the running look good too -- maybe I'm not sure what I should be looking for! Others: JD717A, Exmark Lazer HP, Ferris IS1500Z. Gravely and Ferris are the lowest price. Best value? I don't know. The Deere looks awfully nice, but at a price.