Gravely 160Z is this deck too big for the wheel width?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by johnwon, Nov 4, 2006.

1. johnwon

johnwon LawnSite Senior Member

Hi: What do you think about a deck that hangs out a good bit beyound the wheels? Is there some reason to stay away from this type of set-up? The Gravely 160Z frame and tire width is narrower than the 260Z and maybe a lot of other ZTR too. It looks like it would help with mowing under some over hanging trees. Is there a more of a chance of this set up scalping or having a poorer quality of cut? Thanks for any feedback on this subject.
    PS; The deck is their X-Factor

2. johnwon

This most likely don't make any sense to anyone who knows Gravely very well. I was told on the phone by a Gravely salesman that all of the 100 series had the same frame and tire footprint. That is why I thought there would be a lot of overhang with the 60" deck. I went and measured them myself only to find the the 160Z has a wider tire footprint than the 152. The 148 & 152 have the same. So at this point there is no need for anyone to answer my original question. Thanks

3. noseha

noseha LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

you want to know if you should buy a 160 or 260?

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Anyone who has had a reasonable amount of experience with ZTRs that have had experience on decks that hang out, and those like the 48s that are even with the rear wheels, will tell you that the overhang of a deck is defintely an advantage over those that don't (overhang). With the smaller decks that don't stick out at all, it creates much more work to have less grass left over that hasn't been cut. The overhang just makes the trimming aspect MUCH easier. When going around tight circles, like 3 to 4 ft. tree rings, to do it properly, you are STILL oversteerng and backing up and trimming around the circle in sections (as to not stress the turf with the rear wheels). Well, with a deck that is even further in, there is more jogging in involved, and the front wheels many times are wanting to touch your ring just so you can get the edge of your deck against it ot near it.

5. johnwon

Thanks for the reply. I thought if the 60" was on the same exact frame as the 48, this may cause other problems.
    As for a 260 verses a 160...if money were no object, I'd most likely by a 200 series mower.

6. noseha

from MI

for the money the 200 series is the way to go? for what the difference is go with the 200 if you can. what hp are you looking at

7. johnwon

Well it's getting down to slim pickings for the 2006 models at my local dealer. After I found out that the 160 had a wider footprint than the 148/152 mowers I decided to put a downpayment on the last 160XDZ 2006 model he had in inventory. I know from what people say that the 25HP KAW. may be a bit shy on power in hill climbing but that was all he had in my price range. I could have bought a 252M for about the same money from what I seen on the list of mowers on sale, I'm not sure it was still available. The 252M was something I seen on the list after I got home. I have some steep banks I hope to be able to cut and thought the 160 lower center of gravity would help. The 252M deck don't stick out very much pass the tire footprint. The 252M had the same 25HP KAW. as the 160XDZ.

8. noseha

from MI

I run 3 kaw 15-17-26lc on my 260 and you talk to some guy and they say it's to small. but for me they all work good. I've had Kohlers and Hondas and I think there all good. In my deepest of grass the kaws cut fine. The only place where I see it is on my 60'' deck I may have to cut twice once at 4'' and the second time at 3'' for over growth I cut at 5'' then 3''. now for wet grass stay home wait for it to dry unless you want to cut it six times gravely aren't good wet mowers!

9. johnwon

Does your 260 have the X-Factor deck. I did read some threads on the Gravely not cutting wet grass very well and wondered if this is still the case with their newest X-Factor decks too??
    As for mowing when it's wet...I'd wait till it was dry anyway being I have to mow some banks and hillsides.

10. noseha

from MI

I don't have the x deck. 2005 make