1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Gravely 21" commercial mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by joed, Mar 27, 2005.

1. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

Does anyone have any experience with the Gravely 21" commercial mower. I am going to be adding a mower this year and had narrowed my choices down to:
    26" Exmark
    21" Honda Commercial
    21" Exmark/Toro proline

When I went to the dealer yesterday, they had a Gravely 21" commercial. It looks well-built and comes with the 5.5 hp Honda GXV commercial engine. It is also $200 (Canadian dollars) less than a comparable Toro/Exmark 21" unit, $150 less than the Honda commercial and $700 less than the 26" Exmark which is priced at $1 833 dollars in Canada.

You can check it out at:

2. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

I have not seen that same model before. Looks like it has cheap wheel design, as in no wheel bearings. I tried a gravley a few years ago and it only drove one wheel, which was a real problem going up hills.
  3. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

It is made by Ariens. I would go with Honda or Toro before it take that machine.
  4. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I am a Gravely dealer. That mower has been out for a few years. It cuts nice, and is good at both bagging and mulching. It does have knid of cheap wheels, but they seem to hold up pretty good. I have not had any complaints from customers. It has the "Snapper type" disc drive, with variable speed control. With this drive, one wheel can spin out going across hillsides. It is not a "positrac" drive where both wheels are locked together. THe deck is nice heavy steel, and we have never seen any deck cracking problems on the Gravely/Ariens machines. Ariens has a top-of-the-line homeowner model that comes with a 6hp Kawasaki engine. It is a lot cheaper than the commercial model, and I think it holds up just as well. Only real difference is the engine. We sell a lot of that homeowner model to commercial guys. It is about $400 - $500 cheaper than a Toro or Honda commercial 21".
    Is the Ariens/Gravely 21" as good as the Toro/Honda/Exmark machine? Probably not, but they are a heck of a lot cheaper, and seem to hold up pretty good over the years.