Gravely 250 Z

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by ZH Turf Man, Aug 29, 2004.

1. ZH Turf Man

ZH Turf Man LawnSite Member

Can anyone give me some info on these mowers? Are they considered a commercial or residential, are they still being made, any pros or cons on these machines would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks......

2. rbeitz

rbeitz LawnSite Member

I'd be interested in hearing comments on this model also. Anyone have one?

I currently use a Scag walk behind but I want to move up to a ztr for my 2+ acre yard. I found a Gravely PM250Z for sale nearby. Looks to be well built but it has a Briggs Vangaurd engine and I am more partial to Kawasaki motors.

3. ZH Turf Man

You and I are probably looking at the same mower, it is listed on ebay, the fella who has it advertised is from Sinking Spring. I am a little leerie about the hours he has listed, he says 72, that doesn't seem like very many for a mower that was made in 2000.
    The Gravely web site does not have them listed but there are still internet dealers selling them. I'm not crazy about the motor either but Simplicity Consumer Z has the same motor on their 50 inch machine and I have talked to two different mechanics who claim they are good engines.

4. rbeitz

rbeitz LawnSite Member

I saw that 250Z on Ebay and it's nice and close to me. That's why I am interested in it. I wish his opening bid was lower though.

I missed a great deal the other day on a Scag Turf Tiger down in York. I saw it about 2 hours after it was listed with an opening bid of $3000 and a buy it now price of $3600. It had a 27HP Liquid Cooled Kawa and a 72" deck. 1500 hours. Would have cut my yard in no time at all. It was a lot of hours but I new it was a great deal. I had to get the OK from the wife before buying it at the buy it now price. She finally said OK but I knew there would be H@ll to pay later. I went back on to buy it and some guy beat me to it by 10 minutes. I was so disappointed. Here's a link to that auction:

Scag Turf Tiger

The Gravely seems like it would be OK for me but after missing the Scag deal it just doesn't seem to measure up.

5. ZH Turf Man

I saw the Turf Tiger on ebay but didn't realize it was at York.
    The problem with ebay is that there are some real crooks trying to sell lawn mowers. I bid on a Toro that a guy from Maryland had, no picture of the mower except one they had cut out of a magazine and it was of an Exmark. I bid once, was outbid by someone and a day later received notice that they couldn't come up with the funds and all I had to do to get the mower was transfer funds to his checking account. I emailed back and said I would pay when I saw the mower, then the guy from Maryland disappeared and I was dealing with someone from Eastern Europe. I am real skeptical now of anything that seems to good to be true, the honest folks usually list where they bought the mower and normally will give you a description that you can tell was written by someone who used the mower. I think in the long run, unless you can get a super good deal, that you are better buying new.

6. rbeitz

rbeitz LawnSite Member

I know what you mean about the scams. They are rampant on Ebay in many areas. Tractors, 4-wheelers, etc... Almost every search I do anymore I can pick out at least one scam auction. The email seller before bidding is a dead giveaway.

The Scag in York was legit though. I emailed and then called the seller and spoke to him about it for quite a while. He works for rite-aid and mows a few lawns on the side. He bought the Scag used last year to use on a 3.5 acre property that he did. He says he lost that account and just doesn't need a mower that big anymore. He also has a scag walk behind. Real nice person to deal with and I'm sorry I wasn't quick enought to buy it.

Nothing I would like more than to go out and buy a new Scag Tiger Cub but my wife would leave me if I dropped $6K on a mower. My best hope is to find a decent used one between 2500 and 3500 and then try to sell my walk behind.

It takes me anywhere from 1 hour 40 minutes to 2 hours to mow my 2 acre yard with my SW48 depending on the pattern I run. I mow in 3rd gear. I have trid the 1 wheel sulky and it hurts my back. I have also tried the proslide but it digs in on the turns and I have to step off it so it is usually just as fast to walk it. I have a lot of obstacles, house, deck, detached garage, pool, many landscape beds, kids play fort, shed etc. I'd like to get my mowing time down under an hour.

As for the Gravely on Ebay. I emailed the seller and he said it has an hour meter and the hours are right at 75.

7. rbeitz

rbeitz LawnSite Member

I see that the Gravely PM250Z sold for $3475. ZH Turfman did you decide to bid on it?

8. ZH Turf Man

No Rob, I didn't bid on it, I thought maybe you had bought it. Didn't seem like a bad price, do you think? I am still checking ebay every day but still a bit cautious about bidding on something that expensive. I get the feeling that there are no "inbetween lawn mowers", they are either very expensive commercial mowers or the real cheap residentials. The two that I have found that are somewhat in my price range would be the Simplicity Consumer Z's and the Country Clippers. Both companies seem to make good mowers.
    Good Luck in your search......

9. rbeitz

rbeitz LawnSite Member

Well I was thinking about bidding on the Gravely when I got an email from the owner of the Scag Turf Tiger that I missed last week. Seems the buyer couldn't come up with the money and he backed out. The seller asked if I was still interested. I went to look at it and I am happy to say that as of tonight it is sitting in my garage. I've got to say this thing is a 'beast'. Kawasaki 27HP liquid cooled and a 72" cut. Can't wait to get out there and tear up my lawn! Oh yeah my walk behind is now officially for sale!