Gravely 252M vs Hustler mini z (52")

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Zachy1025, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Zachy1025

Zachy1025 LawnSite Member

I am about 1 week away from buying one or the other and I am very uncertain which to buy. The gravely has more power and it appears to have a stronger deck, larger wheel motors and pumps, but Hustler seems to have a better overall review. In general, I mow newer sub divisions that weren't graded very well before seeding. Some minor rutting and washouts. The lots are 1-1.5 acres. About 1/4 of the accounts have long, even pitched hillls (pond area).

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Your not comparing equal units.
    If you compare our Super Z series with the 252m you would be comparing equal units.

3. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

I myself would go gravely any day of the week over hustler. The X-Factor deck is amazing in all conditions. Gravely equipment is super heavy duty and built for the long haul. The 200 series mowers in my oppinion are almost over kill. If it were me i would get the 152XDZ over the 252. I might go 252 if I had a bunch of guys that could care less how they treated my equipment.

4. Palmer'sLS

Palmer'sLS LawnSite Senior Member

mowerconsultant is correct. If you want a 52" mower from hustler, you need to get the super mini or even get the super z 54" xr-7. I had a mini-z and I found that it cannot be used everyday as a main mower, however the super mini can be. good luck with your decision:waving:

5. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Yes, mowerconsultant IS right on the comparison.

ProStreet, you and I have both sang the praises of the Gravely 34Z, and I too like the Gravely line, it's probably my second pick- behind the Hustler!

BUT - Gravely just isn't as refined as Hustler mower for mower. Different league, really. The SuperZ blows away the 252M head to head in any condition I've encountered, and is a much smoother, faster and just a more "finished" product. JMO

6. Zooropa93

Zooropa93 LawnSite Senior Member

I would have to agree...I used to sell both gravely and hustler (still sell gravely and now have scag) and the gravely is not a bad mower but the husler is a bit more refined and it's an unfair comaprison to compare a larger frame unit like the 252 with a mini Z.

7. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

The thing is hustler in non existant in my area because they dont cut the finer northern fescue very good. Where as gravely leaves a nice carpet smooth finish. If i mention hustler to other lco in my area they look at me like i have 2 heads :laugh: