Gravely 260 Z, to buy or not to buy.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by prostriper, May 14, 2004.

1. prostriper

prostriper LawnSite Senior Member

I was at a local garage that had a Gravely 260Z out and front. I was real impressed with the quality and workmanship that went into these machines. I just wanted to see if anyone here had one and if they did what do they think of it. I've been looking into getting the new Dixie's but I may go with these. Whats your opinion?
  2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I, as well as many others on here have said it before, and I'll say it again. These 260's are really quite a package for their cost. You get alot of bang for your buck with these machines. Being used however, is a different thing. What I mean is, just make sure you're getting a decent price for it.
  3. glennd

glennd LawnSite Member

I bought a 260z last year and love it. They are a little higher than some other models. As Ground Control stated, be careful your not buying someone elses problem. See if you can test it out before putting your money down. Just my .02
  4. barringtonbrothers

barringtonbrothers LawnSite Senior Member

I try to stick to this rule when it comes to equipment - If your gonna depend on it for income- spend the extra money and buy new.
  5. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

Very impressed with Gravely. I like it with the Peco leaf box.

The controls are designed differently. Safer. Seems like the discharge is quite large might work better in wet grass. Ed
  6. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

I'm also looking at gettin a 260z. I'm looking into getting one new tough I do like them a lot.
  7. JHE

JHE LawnSite Member

How much are they asking for the 260Z and how many hours does it have on it and what condition is it in. Some of the folks on this site may be able to tell you whether the deal is good or bad just from a "blue book" type perspective. Go to your Gravely dealer and see how much the machine is new and do your math. Hustler is having a very good sale on mowers and I am finding that for not too much extra $ over used you can buy brand new with a warranty and not have to worry about how the person that owned the mower first maintained the machine.
  8. prostriper

prostriper LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for your help. I haven't really had time to get on and see everyones replies. It has been raining so much here lately if it's not raining I'm mowing and when it is I catch up on sleep. Yes I am buying new. Many new companies don't realize that a warranty and free loaner that comes with a new mower is worth the extra $2000. My local dealer wants $8500 with Koler 25 HP, lift assist and striping kit. Thanks again for your input.
  9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

That mower would cost me $7,499 or less here just so you know. I would think if this dealer could sell them for that, a higher volume dealer should be able to do that as well.
  10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Where abouts are you at, Prostriper?