1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Gravely 260

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ToroLandscaper, May 3, 2005.

1. ToroLandscaper

ToroLandscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok i am looking at gravely mowers. Do they hold up good and are the dependable. Also is a 25 HP big enough becouse I do not want to get a under powerd mower! Ok does any one know the difference in the models as follows 260M ($7,699.00) or the 260H ($8,199) or the 260HQ ($8,499). Any imput would be great. Thanks
  2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

10 lines down on this SAME PAGE you said you were looking at an eXmark ZTR...;)
  3. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

The gravely mower that Ihave Pm 260 is great. A bit of a problem with the hydraulics, but Gravely fixed it right up. Well they tried by my dealer was an idiot, but that has nothing to do with Gravely or the mower.

25 HP is not enough if you do any mowing of tall spring rush growth or other intense mowing. Get 27hp or more.

Go to the gravely site for the particulars. But the M, H, HQ are most likely 25 hp, 27 hp and 28 hp liquid cooled or something like that. Engine differences at any rate.
  4. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

The M model is the manual deck lift, the H is the hydrualic deck lift, the HQ is the Hydrualic deck lift with the Eye-Q system. 25HP is under powered for me at times and I would strongly recommend getting the 27 Kohler or if you would use it enough to be cost effective, I would recommend the 27 HP diesel. Yes, it's dependable. It's built as good as any commercial mower on the market. There will always be guys on here telling you that other brands are better, but you can't go wrong with a Gravely.
  5. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Gravely is good. get the 28efi engine and you'll think you've died and gone to heaven!

I've got the 28EFI on a Superz,it is a fine engine. It will get better fuel economy than a 25 Kaw or 27 Kohler, and it it very, very difficult to bog it. It will walk right through stuff that will bog other similarly powered engines.

Oldtimer says that the EFI engines, with the fuel injection and computer contol, will have a longer lifespan.

Yes, they are worth the "extra" grand. Use it long enough and fuel economy will pay for it...the smiles will be for free !
  6. Texas Mower Parts

Texas Mower Parts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Gravely no longer offers a 28 efi on the 260z. You'll have to chose a 25 Kawi, 27 Kohler, or 26 Kawi Lq Cooled. Don't ask me why, but I'm sure low sales had to be the deciding factor.
  7. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

comes under the "you can lead a mule to water, but you can't make the stubborn ass drink".

Yes compared to carb engines, EFI gets somewhere between 7-15% better mileage and 10-15% better power at the same time. Sure they cost more, but with that combo it would certainly seem to be worth it.

But the average person doesn't have any idea, nor does the salesman.

As far as extra durability, of EFI, that I am not so sure about. Durability has more to do with the machining process and maintence afterwards then how the gas gets through the engine.
  8. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I'm not seeing the 26 Kaw Liquid Cooled on Gravely's website. They have the 27HP Diesel instead.

I heard that the liquid cooled engine will last 500-1000 more hours as opposed to the air cooled. I have a 27 horse Kohler on a 61inch ZTR and let me tell you.... If you can bogg a 27 horse come right over and show me. If it was a Kawi motor tie it to a anchor and throw in the lake. I had a walkbehind with a 14 kawi and it bogged like crazy.... junk! Buy a Kohler and just mow the hell out of it. You will be better off with the other K..... Kohler

Oh,,,, EFI only increases HP not the life. Liquid keeps the motor cooler which in turn extends the life. I hope Im right if not I better yell at the rep and my dealer for feeding me this BS???? LOL
  10. ToroLandscaper

ToroLandscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

MM LAWN I am looking into which mower i should get ! And which is the best for the money